Headlight dimmer switch replacement 1981

NHcamper

Switched to high beams the other day (took a couple of clicks to get them to change. Tried them again this time they are stuck on high beam and the relay gets hit and shuts the lights off. I am guessing the switch under the column is the problem. Has anyone changed this switch, not sure what’s involved to remove and replace this. 

The switch should be accessible without removing the column.  It requires some contortion to get under and work on it.  The parts are readily available.  The switch rod may fall out once the electrical assembly is off (tape it onto the column, once the switch is off)

3 hours ago, NHcamper said:

Anyone know the part number or what make car it came from?

Verify the fit when you get yours out. They used a 1970s GM Tilt column. I believe this 1981 Pontiac Firebird among others will work. Duralast Dimmer Switch UDS424

3 hours ago, NHcamper said:

Just a heads up. Tried everywhere could not match up the switch🙁. Used a foot style dimmer just to get by. Just another bump in the road to keep RQB-3352 running day and night.

Were you not able to find a Duralast UDS424 crossed over to another company. The switch was used in numerous 70s and 80s GM Tilt columns. I believe the mounting plate, the switch mount and the harness connections only vary slightly from one mfg to another. Can you post a picture of your switch?

Just to clarify, Are you looking for the switch or the pivot? 

Attached is a picture of the common GM Tilt Column high beam switch!

D7F1FFF2-943C-4C07-AB24-A94EECC0E342.jpeg

Edited by 1inxs
Adding a picture

Sorry I’m not that tech savvy. I will have my kid help me to load pic of connector so you can see it. The guy at NAPA tried to cross it to the Duralast part no., but nothing came up with the correct connector. He looked at several other GM switches but no match. The part in the column was fine. I could manipulate the switch by hand but it would not change settings. 
no problems since I substituted the foot dimmer, changes hi to low beam no issues. 

Cool, no problem! We'll help you get it fixed up correctly when we can see your connector. I looked at my 81 Avanti, but didn't pull the connector off. While I'm waiting on your picture, maybe I'll get some time to pull it off and see what's up.