Steering wheel repair

StudeNorm

The other day I went for a spin and upon entering the car I had a hold of the wheel and pulled on it a bit to adjust my butt in the seat and felt a funny movement, in the steering wheel, not my seat. The wheel now has a back and forth wiggle where the rim meets the spoke, one side only for now. It feels broken at that point. Is it possible to repair or will it need replacing? I have a welder but realize the plastic will have to be removed and then replaced. Does anyone have an old wheel in decent shape I can buy? What are my options for a good looking after-market replacement? My interior already has some minor mods. Thanks for your help.

Edited by StudeNorm

You're lucky that both sides didn't break loose.  When I bought my Avanti, the steering wheel round rim was in the trunk and I drove it with just the two spokes for a while until I found a new steering wheel.  I haven't found anyone local willing to weld the rim back onto the spokes, so I'll be interested in responses to your question.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/9/2021 at 4:53 PM, StudeNorm said:

The other day I went for a spin and upon entering the car I had a hold of the wheel and pulled on it a bit to adjust my butt in the seat and felt a funny movement, in the steering wheel, not my seat. The wheel now has a back and forth wiggle where the rim meets the spoke, one side only for now. It feels broken at that point. Is it possible to repair or will it need replacing? I have a welder but realize the plastic will have to be removed and then replaced. Does anyone have an old wheel in decent shape I can buy? What are my options for a good looking after-market replacement? My interior already has some minor mods. Thanks for your help.

I would try to weld it....I'd remove the minimum amount of plastic on rim using saw or whizzer tool to access the area to be welded....After welding, I'd bevel the sides of the cut plastic, then make a mold around welded area and pour in either fiberglass resin, or a good two part epoxy...when dry, break mold and sand down, smoothing out using body filler until you're satisfied with repair, then refinish entire steering wheel.

The Schrock brothers no longer do steering wheels, they retired from that, and sold the molds.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just removed the steering wheel and chopped, Dremeled away the plastic rim. Once done the wheel fell apart in my hands. Upon examining the welded area I was a bit/a lot surprised to see there was no fusing of the rim metal to the spoke metal. In other words, not a true weld... There was only a thin layer of welding rod material spanning the gap on the top side holding the assembly together. If they had welded top and bottom like this it would have been better. I am surprised it lasted this long. Not sure if this was standard practice or a lack of proper QC. Needless to say an aftermarket wheel could not be made to fit so I will continue with my repair. Pictures to follow.

Edited by StudeNorm
spell check