Headers anyone?

Steve_avanti

The biggest problem with headers or any exhaust manifolds is they need to clear the steering box on the drivers side. I just used the 2 1/2 in "vette Ram Horn manifolds from the early 60's. Speedway sells an aftermarket Ram Horn that should fit and, I believe, another member has used ones from Sanderson.

As far as better flow, the SBC Ram Horns were pretty good, even compared to headers, and you'll also want to upgrade your entire system also. Let me suggest the 2 1/4" stainless system from Don Simmons at Silvertone exhaust.

The problem with most headers is they need to go up and around to get past the steering box and few do that.

Here's my install on my 83 with Don's system. He sized the head pipes to fit my 2 1/2" manifolds.

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/tech-talk/43720-avanti-stainless-silvertone-exhaust-installation-length-and-picture-warning

I did my own 2 1/2" system on my 74 with a couple of headpipes bent at a local shop. 

I do not recommend steel tube type headers, unless you add good insulation to them, because of the added heat in the engine compartment, which an Avanti does not need.  

52 minutes ago, studegary said:

I do not recommend steel tube type headers, unless you add good insulation to them, because of the added heat in the engine compartment, which an Avanti does not need.  

Gary makes a valid point......The additional interior noise generated by headers can also get somewhat tiresome on a longer drive.:(

Thx for all the input.  I currently have rams horns & true duals.  Looking for more giddy up in the exhaust area.  Planning on wrapping whatever ultimately is chosen so heat isn't really a concern.  Any headers out there that don't have issues with the steering box?  Any Intel is much appreciated😀

Just thinking out loud here, but if you have a stock L48, headers will do little to add to gitty-up as you have already added duals.. Those were 180-190 hp smog engines so a better investment IMO would be a cam and heads upgrade or all the way with new pistons.

Also recall the 360 hp Corvette  L84 ran 2.5" ram horns quite successfully.

If you've all ready done that then good luck with your quest for better headers. Please post when you find them.

Edited by Avanti83

On the '70 I owned I had Sanderson block higher headers installed.  They cleared everything.  I also had a 2.5" exhaust installed all the way back with Magnaflow mufflers.  It had a nice rumble at low rpm's and opened up nicely as rpm's rose.  

P1020461.JPG

P1020839.JPG

Good morning Steve and all Avanti folks...... HEADERS.... Installed a set of OEM factory GM headers on my hot  rod a few years back.... they were tubular stainless steel !! from 75 to early 80s chevy trucks and of course a factory perfect fit.......I found them in a local salvage yard for $50...yes stainless steel for $50 bucks......salvage guys and hot rodders know about them..... might be tough to find but i feel worth the effort....I will post a pic if I can find it.... Bill RQB3263.....

On 5/10/2021 at 6:20 AM, Gunslinger said:

On the '70 I owned I had Sanderson block higher headers installed.  They cleared everything.  I also had a 2.5" exhaust installed all the way back with Magnaflow mufflers.  It had a nice rumble at low rpm's and opened up nicely as rpm's rose.  

P1020461.JPG

P1020839.JPG

These look promising!  Do you recall where you bought them?