Avanti headlights...

Gunslinger

True...the initial intent was to use quad headlights...the idea was dropped due to cost. This was...to my eye at least...where cost-cutting made for a better look. The drawings with quads didn't look as good.

That being said, quads would likely have made for brighter lighting which has generally been considered poor.

Circa '03 I was perusing the Corvette Forum and stumbled across a guy who found a solution for the "dim bulbs" those of us with old cars have. He found an aircraft landing light that fit in the inner headlight bezel of his late C1 'Vette. He installed two of 'em, and bought an upgraded alternator to satisfy the battery while those behemoths were flipped on. I just visited while typing this and it seems there's a landing light "kit / fix" available for C1 - C3. Just be sure your low beams are properly aimed, because if someone flashes you thinking your highs are already on, they're in for a blinding awakening.

Later Avanti IIs had an extra pair of lights hanging beneath the bumper. So, anybody want aircraft landing lights? Just like The Who said, "I can see for miles and miles and miles!"

Airplane parts on Avanti, Egbert would be pleased.

Avanti II's had driving lights optional from the beginning or near the beginning. They used several brands over the years...Eppe and the better known Cibie brands...maybe Lucas as well. My '70 came with Eppe driving lights according to the build sheet though they were long gone by the time I purchased the car.

Good quality driving lights will light up the night ahead of you to be sure.

I have Cibie headlights in my car...they're either H3 or H4 Halogens (can't remember this early in the AM and it's too cold and too much snow to walk to the garage to look). While better than original sealed beams, they're not that much better. Maybe the glass headlight covers diffuse the light...don't really know. Poor headlights is just something Avanti owners have to live with it seems.

True...the initial intent was to use quad headlights...the idea was dropped due to cost. This was...to my eye at least...where cost-cutting made for a better look. The drawings with quads didn't look as good.

That being said, quads would likely have made for brighter lighting which has generally been considered poor.

Yes, there's NO WAY I can picture an Avanti with four smaller round headlights (which I assume they would have used back in '63) looking any good at all!

There's this sketch from '61: http://www.carstyling.ru/resources/classic/1962_Studebaker_Avanti_Loewy_Sketch_02.jpg

And a mockup: http://www.thoroughbred-cars.com/cars/USA/Studebaker/images/avantps2.jpg

And then there was another sketch I'm thinking of; it was a closeup of an oval, with two circles contained inside the oval. And now that I think about it, that would have looked a lot like a '62 Lark's setup. If you can envision these headlight bezels plastered on the front of Avanti, you'd have an approximation.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_TsdjySqKQlI/S74VHTVqcZI/AAAAAAAADNI/e9n8-2lntNo/s1600/1962+Studebaker+Lark+Coupe.+-+1.jpg