'63 Avanti fuel tank vent tube issue

Palantirion

An update: For the past week I had the car's vent tube plugged and the (non vented) gas cap cracked ever so slightly. It took a while to properly blow out the old gas fumes but since then there has been no increase in vent fumes. 

While Ntenna's description is likely what happened during installation, and I would like to properly affix the vent tube internally so it would operate like stock, I have too much else going on to spend time doing that right now - if it can be put off. I rarely drive the car. Does anyone see a problem with me keeping the vent tube plugged and just using the cracked gas cap as a pseudo-vented-cap until such time as I can relocate the peak of the vent tube?

You might consider a vented cap in the meantime. Filling the tank easily might be your main challenge. If this is an R-1 there isn’t a recirculation issue anyway, and with a vented cap you would not have a suction issue with the tank, or getting gas to the carb.

• 4 months later...

I just replaced all of the hoses on my tank and found where the vent line rubber hose where it passes in front of the fuel tank was crushed flat.  Likely from the back seat and time.  Previous owner had installed an electric fuel pump and my guess is that was done to try to compensate for what had to be a hard to draw fuel from tank.

🙃 Looking back, things like this are always easy to explain. After all, the technology is simple. But just imagine that your ventilation hose is being squeezed shut and your car is driving crazy as a result. That could become a reason to eventually sell the car...Lucky you!