Avanti Radio

psdenno

It was a mandatory option but could be deleted upon special order. It was listed in the 1963 accessories catalog as an accessory and in the 1964 Studebaker line brochure it was simply listed as an option. It was probably still a mandatory option but the brochure could lead one to believe otherwise.

It was a mandatory option but could be deleted upon special order. It was listed in the 1963 accessories catalog as an accessory and in the 1964 Studebaker line brochure it was simply listed as an option. It was probably still a mandatory option but the brochure could lead one to believe otherwise.

Perfect answer. Any idea about the cost to upgrade to AM/FM?

Not according to the factory document I'm referencing, but I'm sure the price changed over the production run. What's the source of your $154.50 cost?

Studebaker Sales Letter, Prices and Charges - Avanti. Number 190, dated October 28, 1963.

Item #.

66A Radio - Push Button with Rear Manual Antenna $85.00

67A Radio - AM/FM with Rear Manual Antenna $154.50

Difference in price ( or upgrade ) $69.50

Studebaker Sales Letter, Prices and Charges - Avanti. Number 190, dated October 28, 1963.

Item #.

66A Radio - Push Button with Rear Manual Antenna $85.00

67A Radio - AM/FM with Rear Manual Antenna $154.50

Difference in price ( or upgrade ) $69.50

On the dealer price list dated 9/1/63, the AM/FM with rear fender antenna (AC-3503) was only $149.50 . The AM radio with antenna (AC-3507) was listed at $80.40. That's a bit of a jump in two months.

On the dealer price list dated 9/1/63, the AM/FM with rear fender antenna (AC-3503) was only $149.50 . The AM radio with antenna (AC-3507) was listed at $80.40. That's a bit of a jump in two months.

The prices I quoted are factory installed.

The prices you quote are dealer suggested uninstalled list price.

The prices I quoted are factory installed.

The prices you quote are dealer suggested uninstalled list price.

I have no idea of what UAW workers were getting for an hour's work in South Bend in '63, but I imagine a radio & antenna could be installed in an hour, or so. Minimum wage at the time was $1.25 an hour. Five bucks would have covered it.

Dennis