Avanti Shifter noise

psdenno

Slow down...you're going too fast. At least, that's how it is in my '69 Corvette...slow down and the rattle goes away...or just drive with my hand on the shifter and it quiets right down. In that car, the reverse gear lockout key is doing the rattling inside the shifter. I could remove the key but that's removing a safety device...not recommended.

On an Avanti? Someone else can answer that one.

Psdenno,

I do not know about any Avantis' fixes, but the early Corvettes had the same problem. About 1965 Corvette stopped mounting their shifter on the transmission and mounted it on the frame. The mounting bracket was referred to as a " divorce plate" The shifter was mounted to the the divorce plate and the divorce plate was mounted to the frame. It solved the rattle problem. Perhaps the Avanti shifter could be mounted to the frame? Just an idea not a solution for you!

The factory supplied a kit that included a new shift lever, lever pivot pin, nylon bushings, spring washer and spacer washer.

That would be the correct answer. A factory service letter details the required parts and procedure. I wonder how many Avantis underwent the fix.