Question about fuel pump and gas tank lines routing

Jim S

My 87 Convertible has a 1 line disconnected at the pump.  The fuel pump has a short piece of rubber fuel line on it that's plugged off with a bolt.  I need to know if that's a vent or return line.  Two lines run along the passenger frame and one line runs along the driver's side.  Which is which?  And last, there is a small tube on the top right of the tank (pass. side) that has been capped off.  Shouldn't that be connected to something.  Bottom line, when I filled the tank, gas started to leak near the fuel pump!  I need to get these lines connected to where they need to be asap!  Thanks all!

Second line on passenger side should be the return line to the gas tank. Line on drivers side was probably for the Evap system. You should have a vacuum diagram sticker some where under the hood.

Good luck,

Jim Wood

Thank-you Jim.  I figured it out.  The return line was capped at both ends.  I corrected that and installed new fuel pump to replace the leaking one.  The Evap line is not going to anything.  I removed the rotted out charcoal canister.  Should I replace it and and reattach the evap line?  Most of the smog system has been disabled by the previous owner.

Replacing it would probably cause more problems then it would cure. I would make sure the gas filler cap is vented if you keep it disabled.

Good luck,

Jim Wood