Coming Home To Roost?

mfg

WOW!....Tomorrow I'm going to look at (and possibly repurchase) a Studebaker which I sold in 1979.......Still owned by the same fellow I sold it to, his son is now helping his dad 'downsize' his vehicle collection....Haven't seen this car in 42 years.....EXCITED!!:o :D

13 hours ago, studegary said:

What is the car? 

1956 Golden Hawk....3 spd O/D.....Power steering....It has been said this setup is most desirable for this model Stude....Haven't seen car in 42 years....Frank Ambrogio (56J Only website) connected me with owner....Really can't wait to see car....NOSTALGIA!!!!!!:)

1 hour ago, mfg said:

1956 Golden Hawk....3 spd O/D.....Power steering....It has been said this setup is most desirable for this model Stude....Haven't seen car in 42 years....Frank Ambrogio (56J Only website) connected me with owner....Really can't wait to see car....NOSTALGIA!!!!!!:)

That is a nice set up when working well.  I remember working on the clutch and throw out bearing in one.  It was a real "bear" to R&R the transmission (with engine in car).  It was an all black car that had been drag raced in the Mid-Atlantic area.  

4 hours ago, studegary said:

That is a nice set up when working well.  I remember working on the clutch and throw out bearing in one.  It was a real "bear" to R&R the transmission (with engine in car).  It was an all black car that had been drag raced in the Mid-Atlantic area.  

Well, I need another Stude like I need another hole in my head......BUT I BOUGHT BACK THE CAR TODAY:o!!!!!!!!!!

Not quite the same car as it was when I entered it into the 1975 Autorama show at the Hynes Auditorium in Boston, however, it still has 'class'..........:)

It will be interesting awakening that big Packard engine.... (car hasn't been run in years!)

On 4/18/2021 at 10:08 AM, studegary said:

I remember working on the clutch and throw out bearing in one.  It was a real "bear" to R&R the transmission (with engine in car).

Yes!...I remember!....When I was a kid I did a clutch job on this Hawk.....on my back....and that T-85 transmission certainly is a "bear"!!

I remember taking the clutch assy. to a local jobber, thinking a Packard clutch may have to be special ordered...The guy behind the counter said....No problem! ... that's the same as an 11" Ford truck clutch...How many do you want??:o :D

I need to get going on mine one of these days. Let me know if you might need some parts. I might have something. (great taste in cars).

98030187_3205872489432003_1583241437703569408_n.jpg

Hey, I didn't realize you owned a 56J!   I like the colors...is that Ceramic Green/Snowcap White?....Auto or standard shift?

Mine was originally Cambridge Grey/Snowcap White, however before I sold it in '79 I painted it the factory Sunglow Gold/Snowcap White paint combo.

I'll keep in mind your parts offer!....Thanks,  Ed

I purchased it this way. I don't like the green and white, as I already had that combination on a 56J back in high school. I want something different. I'm seriously thinking about painting it Congo ivory, and Pimlico grey. I know they are speedster colors, but they are some of the best Stude offered. It has a supposedly rebuilt Ultramatic. If it acts up, I'll make an adapter, and put in a GM 700R4.

19 hours ago, brad said:

I purchased it this way. I don't like the green and white, as I already had that combination on a 56J back in high school. I want something different. I'm seriously thinking about painting it Congo ivory, and Pimlico grey. I know they are speedster colors, but they are some of the best Stude offered. It has a supposedly rebuilt Ultramatic. If it acts up, I'll make an adapter, and put in a GM 700R4.

I don't think anyone has ever painted a '56 Golden in the Speedster Congo Ivory/Pimlico Grey colors...Personally, I think that paint combo would look superb!:)

Brought the car home today.........125 mile round trip.......mostly highway........Boy, that Packard engine sure looks big if you haven't seen one for awhile!

Fixable dent on right fender....Will be needing a right front wheel opening moulding, and a right fender side moulding.....car all there otherwise!

Kind of interesting....Frank Ambrogio sent me a copy of this Hawk's Studebaker production order.....Now, when I owned this car years ago, I lived in Roslindale, Mass.........Production order states this car was originally delivered new to a Studebaker dealer in Roslindale , Mass!.......I didn't have a clue about that!:o

• 2 weeks later...

Just reading that the 1956 Studebaker GH engine had a cylinder bore spacing of 5"....... apparently huge by (then) industry standards.....Room for a possible 500 CI with additional stroking.......Imagine If, at the time, S-P had the resources to keep that engine in production & develop it.........What unreal speed records an engine like that would have set under the hood of a Studebaker Avanti!!!:o ..... (no blower needed!:D)

• 5 months later...

Avanti owners looking for good USED mechanical items might try FRENCH LAKE AUTO PARTS in Annandale, Minnesota...They have a large inventory of older (collector) vehicles, and apparently many Studebakers.

I mention this because of this '56 Stude Golden Hawk I've been working on....I want to keep it Packard powered, however the few Packard salvage cars that were in my area are long gone, with the salvage yards long gone too!

Anyway, I was looking for 'spares' for the engine in my Hawk, and ended up ordering a COMPLETE '56 Packard Clipper 352 V8 from French Lake.

I was really impressed by how quickly they got the engine to me (about seven days, Minnesota to Massachusetts, and they had to remove it from the car!)

It was shipped on a custom built wooden cradle, shrink wrapped, then strapped onto a pallet....First class job I believe!

There tel# is  320-274-8497....ask for Kody!:)

Edited by mfg
Typo

Are you sure it's a 56 engine? There were many upgrades to the 56 over the 55 engines.  (valve keepers, oil deflectors, cam retaining plate, combustion chamber design) etc.

5 hours ago, brad said:

Are you sure it's a 56 engine? There were many upgrades to the 56 over the 55 engines.  (valve keepers, oil deflectors, cam retaining plate, combustion chamber design) etc.

Yes I've heard/read that...esp. on the oil pump & combustion chambers.....This is a '56 for sure...I saw pic of the '56 Clipper before they pulled engine....Also it has 'Clipper' rocker arm covers which I believe were '56 only, and the engine serial # starts with '56'.

I purchased this as a parts and/or backup engine to the 352 in the Hawk, which now turns free, and will probably be OK with rings and a valve job...however, this second engine turns over nicely, has good looking cylinders, and has no discernible ridge at cylinder tops, so it could possibly end up in the car....Still have a long way to go with bodywork before I deal with the engines.....it's just good to have 'spares'...I'm sure you know what I mean!:)

PS...When I first owned this car, I remember the lifters sometimes collapsing with engine hot on a warm day...so I don't know what the insert bearings will look like...I'm interested in buying a Jack Vines Olds oil pump conversion.

PM me f you need other parts. I have extra sets of fins....etc. I'm not going to be able to get to mine and am selling it. and most parts for it.

9 hours ago, brad said:

PM me f you need other parts. I have extra sets of fins....etc. I'm not going to be able to get to mine and am selling it. and most parts for it.

Thanks!,...although I'd like to improve on the condition of some trim pieces, the only part I actually am missing would be the right front fender upper stainless side moulding.

If Brad (or any other Stude fan) might have one of these they could part with.,,,.I'd be interested in purchasing!........Ed

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/7/2021 at 11:24 AM, brad said:

Too bad you're selling:(...but there's only so much time in the day!....I would have liked to see it in that Congo Ivory/Pimlico Gray color combo.

• 1 month later...

Attempting to acquire rebuild parts for the Packard 352 V8 engine, I just purchased a NOS set of 4" cast iron piston rings off e-bay.  (Of course, I'm rolling the dice neither engine will need a re-bore!)

Coincidentally, this is the exact same ring set used in the famed 392 CI '57-'58 Chrysler 'Hemi' V8 engine.

Now to locate rod/main/cam bearings, An overhaul gasket set...and a Jack Vines Olds oil pump conversion!:)