Replica Halibrand Wheels in hand

Raymond Compton

The ad in the Fall Winter Avanti magazine for replica Halibrand #7011 wheels caught my eye. Having lusted for those wheels since the introduction of the Avanti, I found the ad almost too good to be true. No matter the hobby, we have all seen ads that were, to use the computer term, "vapor ware". Ads placed to determine the level of interest for the new product, which may or may not ever become available. When I saw a posting on the Studebaker Drivers Club forum that the wheels had arrived at Real Rodders Wheels, I gave them a call. Yes, the wheels did exist and Jon Myer was making the spinners in a partnership deal. I ordered a set of five, to have a spare. I sent a check, to save the credit card charge and in about a week, Pat O'Brien called to notify me that the wheels had been shipped. They arrived yesterday, two days after the call. If you have seen the ad for the wheels or the picture on the http://www.realrodderswheels.biz/ web site, they do not do the wheels justice. I think that these reproductions are much better looking than the originals, which by modern standards, look to be roughly finished. Anyway, if you have ever wanted these wheels for your Avanti, Hawk, or Lark, now is the time. Limited market, limited production items such as these wheels tend to disappear from the market all too soon. When I bring my Avanti II out of winter storage in March, I will post pictures of the mounted wheels.

• 1 month later...

I was at York PA and had a chance to view a sample wheel. WOW O WOW really nice. If my final restoration on my 63 GT Hawk bill is about $1500 under the estimate I will order. As we all know, final bills are never under, maybe time to save up a few extra $ for a set.

Beautiful addition