New to the Avanti world, 1970

Jred

15 hours ago, Jim78 said:

The mirrors appear to be from a '70-75 AMC Javelin/AMX.  That's what the factory mirrors are on my '78.  Left has inside cable adjust, right does not.  There are some on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324342772264?hash=item4b8455f228:g:DjEAAOSwmDxfkCZa

The 70 Avanti is a non remote 1970 AMC mirror

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ouch. Yeah, that could be the cause of your excessive sway. LOL. At least it can be repaired, though.

AMC used the exact same mirrors on all their models in the 1970's, but the mounting arm had a different set angle depending on the car model. It is possible to use a Gremlin/Hornet mirror mounting arm on a Javelin, but it takes some grinding, re-drilling and tapping of the arm on the mirror end to achieve the correct angle. I did this decades ago to mount a Hornet passenger-side mirror on my 1971 Javelin that didn't come with a passenger mirror from the AMC factory.

My 1980 Avanti II drivers-side mirror is this AMC model with mechanical cable remote adjustment. I remember that Chrysler luxury models from that time had an option for mechanical remote passenger-side mirrors. I've often wondered if the long passenger-side cables from a Chryler could be adapted to control an AMC passenger mirror that was never remote controlled. I've had too many other distractions to pursue it, though. 

• 4 weeks later...

It's very interesting that the factory had a modification to add an aux starter solenoid. This was something I had to do on my Avanti many years ago to cure a hot no-start problem. Jred, could you please scan and post the instructions that a partially shown in your picture?

On 6/2/2021 at 7:48 PM, adamderosa said:

It's very interesting that the factory had a modification to add an aux starter solenoid. This was something I had to do on my Avanti many years ago to cure a hot no-start problem. Jred, could you please scan and post the instructions that a partially shown in your picture?

Here you go @adamderosa

Scan 5.jpeg

Just keeping this thread up to date. I noticed a wheel bearing making a failing noise so I got into the rear end.

That was a can of worms. The traction bar bushings needed replacing but I snapped a bolt off when I was trying to remove them.

Ground off the original mount, drilled & tapped, added threads to a fresh grade 8 bolt and now waiting on a friend to come by to weld things in place.

Also sanded and painted the traction bars. Fresh bushings from Avantiparts.biz

1.png

0.png

2.png

3.png

IMG_1255.JPG

Edited by Jred

• 1 month later...

Getting closer to updating my suspension. Koni 8040-1018 shocks for the rear to along with some new leaf springs that are being made. Koni 8040-1017 shocks will go up front with some NOS Moog CC655's I found on ebay. A-arm bushings look a lil worn so I need to take a closer look at those. Rear sway bar frame mount came undone so Im going to take the car to fabricator to replate that section.

Also removing the quadrajet to get rebuilt locally and might even put on a Edelbrock Performer intake manifold. The gaskets on the valve covers and intake manifold are leaking a noticeable amount.

• 2 months later...

New Edelbrock intake and had the quadrajet rebuilt. Valve cover gaskets as well. The power steering pump belt was rubbing on the upper pulley so I shimmed that as well to lessen the rub but it’s still tight. Need to figure something out about that. I’ll get more into that when I put the ac back in... if and when that happens. 

Fuel pump failed as soon as it fired up after the intake so that got replaced as well. 

Definitely has some more pep in its step. 

7064DD2D-6F0A-4930-9020-EF2B3299B4F9.jpeg

2 hours ago, Kodjo said:

I just figured, our cars have the same interior! As in color and no headrest for example. Do you have the original carpet or is it replaced recently?

IMG_1647.thumb.jpeg.e3b4e348c5dcf2b085f92521159fb8f7.jpeg

It’s original carpet in my car, in fawn, I believe it’s called. Kinda a speckled color

• 1 month later...

This one won’t be for everyone but I had to try out this krylon glass paint. I can always take the paint off but for now I like the hotwheels look it gives.
C1B57C79-9EF3-4A23-8179-3F099668484C.thumb.jpeg.954e14de94fcc0a9d6a24fc8dd49da3e.jpeg
 Also had to replace the starter. Oreillys gave me the wrong one but found what I needed at Napa. unfortunately I also discovered the freeze plug behind the starter is weeping so that will be next. 

3B076498-B943-4CD8-989D-FCFDF0AE7469.thumb.jpeg.9daf158e562dac107b337c478be052a5.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Freeze plug replaced. Back flushed the engine block while it was out. Tightened up the oil pan bolts. Discovered the trans was a 700r4, the pan bolts were only finger tight. Fresh filter and fluids. 

got some shine juice on the Avanti. It really shined up. 

44E03820-3513-409C-A876-FE1B46A148A8.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Bringing the thread current...

New leaf springs, shocks, and passenger side sway bar mount fixed on. My buddy did the fabrication work. 

With the new leafs/shocks most of the “row boat” feel is gone. Along with the white knuckle freeway grip. Ha

3AC486C1-2DD9-48D1-8FF8-01DBABCFF64E.jpeg

3CD9B1EA-E214-44DA-BB11-CBB08C4F3D70.jpeg

2E81A193-28EA-4B8A-A800-FF0BAE70E30D.jpeg

On 11/19/2021 at 10:43 PM, Jred said:

This one won’t be for everyone but I had to try out this krylon glass paint. I can always take the paint off but for now I like the hotwheels look it gives.
C1B57C79-9EF3-4A23-8179-3F099668484C.thumb.jpeg.954e14de94fcc0a9d6a24fc8dd49da3e.jpeg
 Also had to replace the starter. Oreillys gave me the wrong one but found what I needed at Napa. unfortunately I also discovered the freeze plug behind the starter is weeping so that will be next. 

LOVE the lights - and you didn't even use Lamin-x!  The car with those lights would feel right at home in France before the Common Market or the EU made them discontinue the practice dating from after WWI I think.

10 hours ago, Jred said:

Upgraded to 255/60r15 Bfg radials on the rear. Stayed with 215/60r15s on the front. Filled in the wheel well nicely. 

3173A4B9-95AA-4079-A29E-6BFD3C5632F8.jpeg

Looks nice and muscular with those on the rear

My '76 has the same color interior.  Gladstone acorn full vinyl seats, Gladstone Acorn vinyl paint on dash, sun visors, roll bar and headboard, with the simulated walnut wood trim around gauges and console. Carpeting was Adventure Walnut shag, but was long gone before I got the car in 2011.  My car has the headrests incorporated into the seat backs and I also went with the brown Studebaker mats. Sorry, I couldn't  find a more recent picture of interior, car is still in storage sleeping through the IL winter.  This was taken when the car was repainted in 2015 and the A pillar rust was discovered when taking the windshield out for repaint.

IMG_0652.JPG

IMG_2344.jpg