New to the Avanti world, 1970

Jred

Shooting texts back and forth with a friend and he sends me a picture of a 1970 Avanti and jokingly asks, "you interested?" 

My friend was helping his family friend clean out a work space and this was one of the cars that needed to be sold.

I had seen Avantis at car shows her and there but didnt know much about them. After some reading and looking I was hooked!

The wife said a few days prior, "We should get something strange and awesome!" Both boxes ticked with the Avanti.

Went and test drove the car and just fell for it. Its a three hour drive from me and the car hasnt been on the road for two years so I decided to leave it and come back with tools and fluids. I could tow it but I'd rather drive it. Heading back this week to turn a couple wrenches.

I need to get all the history jotted down when I get back up there but the previous owner mentioned that this car was ordered by one of or the lawyer that helped Studebaker file the final paperwork for bankruptcy. I'll find out more. 

I'll probably get the paint polished up and a close up a couple seems in the seats. Might try to find a different rear view mirror but after baselining the car we will just enjoy it.

Heres some pictures. Not sure why the hog troughs are uploading upside down but they look all right.

AVANTI1.jpg

AVANTI2.jpg

AVANTI3.JPG

AVANTI4.jpg

AVANTI5.jpg

Edited by Jred

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Jred said:

Oh and yeah the car was running at around 220* on the test drive so I'm going to install a new thermostat when I do the coolant.

Looks like a very nice start to a long friendship. Take a HF digital thermometer with you to check temperatures as the gauges may/may not be accurate. Same with oil pressure. Also be sure to check the tires age as radials are known to get sketchy as they get older so you can drive appropriately.

The power trains in these cars are still the straight forward technology before computers so it should do well on the ride home.

Welcome and congratulations on your car.

Avanti!! 

On 4/17/2021 at 7:21 AM, Avanti83 said:

Looks like a very nice start to a long friendship. Take a HF digital thermometer with you to check temperatures as the gauges may/may not be accurate. Same with oil pressure. Also be sure to check the tires age as radials are known to get sketchy as they get older so you can drive appropriately.

The power trains in these cars are still the straight forward technology before computers so it should do well on the ride home.

Welcome and congratulations on your car.

Avanti!! 

Yeah after trying to work out logistics with my wife and the one car we have on the road right now, another is getting its engine rebuilt, I think Ill have AAA tow it the 150 miles and really take my time with it at home.

Edited by Jred

4 hours ago, Jred said:

Yeah after trying to work out logistics with my wife and the one car we have right now, another is getting its engine rebuilt, I think Ill have AAA tow it the 150 miles and really take my time with it at home.

Very good idea...then you can thoroughly check it out....Looks to be a VERY nice Avanti ll....Best of luck!:)

PS...Avanti ll's are great everyday drivers, I've been using my '83 in that capacity for 27 years.

5 hours ago, Jred said:

Yeah after trying to work out logistics with my wife and the one car we have right now, another is getting its engine rebuilt, I think Ill have AAA tow it the 150 miles and really take my time with it at home.

If the engine needs a rebuild, since it came with a 327, I suggest considering either a new crate engine or an already remanufactured engine (Chevrolet small block).  

What part of the World are you and the Avanti located in?  It doesn't appear to have been driven on salty roads.  

23 hours ago, studegary said:

If the engine needs a rebuild, since it came with a 327, I suggest considering either a new crate engine or an already remanufactured engine (Chevrolet small block).  

What part of the World are you and the Avanti located in?  It doesn't appear to have been driven on salty roads.  

Sorry for the confusion, the engine in the Avanti is seemingly sound. Normal leak from the front seal is all. 65k original miles on the 350. It’s lived most of its life in a garage in Lompoc, Ca. It’ll now reside in Los Angeles. The under belly looks to have only surface rust in areas. 
My other vehicle is getting the rebuild. 

Does anyone have any suggestions for adding a three point shoulder belt for the rear seats? I scanned a thread some where that mentioned adding in metal plates for the shoulder mounts but I’m curious if anyone has done a how too? Coming from the Toyota FJ60 world there were write ups on just about everything. 

Edited by Jred
Adding info

The area above and behind the rear seats are mostly fiberglass with the fuel tank located there and a rear shelf that is plywood. That would make mounting the upper belt mount securely a challenge. You could possibly add a steel mounting point and heavier wood bracing under the rear shelf to provide enough strength for the mount using the rear seat belts from a modern sedan.

I would think that you would have to add something like a second roll bar (connected to the frame) near the rear window in order to have the proper strength for rear shoulder belts.

I cam across this post.

http://aoai.org/forums/topic/3389-seat-belts/?do=findComment&comment=15940

I'll have a look around the car when I get it home but seems like the post will help a bit.

@studegary That was another thought I had. I'll have to see what the clearance will be but maybe a second roll bar under the parcel shelf. Just a thought. A good friend of mine is a great fabricator in metals and fiberglass, I'll get his eyes on it too.

I can't imagine the indicated; " As for the third anchor point, we ran the strap over the back of the seat through the hatch opening in the parcel shelf and down to a fixing through the side of the spare wheel well, which is very solid." would not do much as an anchor to prevent forward movement of the shoulder belt in a case of a crash (the seat back would just come forward along with the belt). 

11 hours ago, studegary said:

It probably is a 350.  Some of the late RQA 1970s came with a 350 instead of the 327 that most RQA 1970 models had.

RQ-A0315 was the first Avanti II equipped with the 350 Chebbie engine...so the engine in the car is correct.  

2 hours ago, Gunslinger said:

RQ-A0315 was the first Avanti II equipped with the 350 Chebbie engine...so the engine in the car is correct.  

I believe that RQA 0315 was the first 1970 model.  So this would mean that all 1970 models came with the 350.  I thought the the early 1970 models came with a 327.

I don't know whether RQ-A0315 was the first '70 but my information states it was the first equipped with the 350 engine.  I also know that with Avanti Motors to never say never.  It's not clear whether Avanti Motors followed the industry standard of introducing the next model year about September of the previous year or went by the calendar year in how they designated model years...or titled the car the year when it was actually sold as opposed to built and sat on the lot awaiting purchase.  

Drove up north and back to finish the paperwork and arrange transport back down to LA today.

Brought back boxes of the original parts that had been replaced from the car like the original disk brakes, og smog pump, a spare matching rim and a few odds and ends. Not sure if any of those decommissioned parts would be useful to anyone, I'll post them in the classified section when i get some time. Al also gave me a NOS starter solenoid and a radio from the 80's that was made for the Avanti. Although I like the looks of the stock radio, I may try to hide a bluetooth unit somewhere. 

We found the original registration from the first owner, Stanley Feuer. His wife Bunny mostly drove this car up until 1989 when she sold it to Al. We also found some polaroids too, pretty cool finds.

AVANTI10.JPG

Avanti11.JPG

Edited by Jred

That is a great find! It is also one of five built in 1970 with the original low back seats. The 1970 came with a 350 Corvette engine. I own this same car, but the original matching numbers 350 has been stroked to a 383. (I have attached a picture of my 1970) This in my opinion is one of the best Avanti IIs a person can own. Looking at the original Studebaker interior while driving will continue to remind you of it’s roots. Enjoy and have fun!

Robert

A0DFF24A-9EE1-4C0D-B11E-CA96394C906E.jpeg

17 hours ago, Jred said:

@1inxs Beautiful. What rear view mirror do you have on the door there? Mine looks like it was added on in the 80's and I feel like its kinda a sore thumb for me.

They are the OEM mirrors that were installed when the car was born in 1969. 

Took pictures of some of the extras that came with the car. The am/fm radio w/ cassette is cool but I’m keeping the og radio and going to see if I can modernize its internals. I may use the speaker replacements. Still working out what direction I’m going with the sound. 

FE286282-3854-4716-A673-61A4CC89D079.jpeg

6B345ED3-1175-4AB7-913C-0CCC315B42C6.jpeg

CF1BD11C-0E31-4634-BC51-58F38A6D4B42.jpeg

23E28F51-2144-4A2E-A7AF-DAB62CBA5E8A.jpeg

5DDB8333-2987-4D10-A1DF-E5B65E652CF6.jpeg

Also there’s a starter solenoid replacement unit which is interesting because the starter is starting to only spin with out engaging, 2 out of three times. Although this solenoid doesn’t look exactly what’s on the current starter. I’ll get into it this week. 
mom guessing because the solenoid is addressed to the first owner, the original starter was simply replaced by the second owner. Cool to have none the less.

93414492-7C93-4BEB-854A-02D66BBB451C.jpeg

Edited by Jred