Over heating

Jim S

My 87 Avanti convertible started overheating today.  Before I throw more money down the rabbit hole, I could use some input on possible reasons it started to overheat.  I replaced the thermostat so that's out of the equation.  It could be the water pump, but it is not leaking there.  So I think the radiator is plugged up?  Can a water pump still be bad if it's not leaking? It does have an electric fan as well. Thoughts please!  Thanks so much.

Edited by Jim S

Well, I think I just solved my issue.  I looked for my symptoms on  a Chevy Monted Carlo forum and found my answer.  Air in the heater hoses.  I had replaced the heater core valve and air got in the hoses.  I bleed out the air and now she's running fine.  I should have known this.  But at 65, my memory is slipping a little I guess!

My 91 conv was running hot last year. Had a bit of slight leak on one end of the radiator. Pulled it out and found lots of debris between the radiator and a/c condenser. Probably the cause of the running hot, but recored the radiator anyway. Now runs like it should.

20 hours ago, Jim S said:

Well, I think I just solved my issue.  I looked for my symptoms on  a Chevy Monted Carlo forum and found my answer.  Air in the heater hoses.  I had replaced the heater core valve and air got in the hoses.  I bleed out the air and now she's running fine.  I should have known this.  But at 65, my memory is slipping a little I guess!

Good find!......Air bound!:o

With  the air now bled out of the heater lines, she's running nice and cool just poking 180.  If only my 64 Hawk could do that!