Loewy & NASA

psdenno

No takers on this one, so here's the condensed version of the story.

Loewy wanted to impress NASA officials with the comfort and flexibility of his space suit design so he made a visit. He was driven in his Lincoln to NASA. His Avanti was driven behind the Lincoln. Before arriving at the gate, he got out of the Lincoln, hopped into the space suit, and got behind the wheel of his Avanti so he could make a grand entrance at NASA and show how easy it was to move freely in the space suit.

Being the ever present showman, its a wonder he didn't throw a cooking demonstration in on the how as well.

The man did have style and wasn't afraid to be "over the top" if there was a camera nearby. Have you seen the pictures of him driving his dune buggy through the desert around Palm Springs? No jeans and t-shirt for Raymond. Dress slacks, snazzy sports coat, goggles and a neck scarf. Ever the showman.

Loewy said that when a young man his mother told him "It's better to be envied than pitied." He did his best to live up to that.

Good motherly advice. In spite of his status and public image, he wasn't all about formality. He could be quite down to earth. When I wrote letters to him, I would always receive a very warm and personal hand written response. Not only was I surprised that he responded, but also that he took an interest in what was written. I treasure one of the letters in which he refers to my Avanti's serial number. That one is framed and hanging on the wall.