Seat ID

Cowboy91

I'm not sure if the seat in my 1970 Avanti are stock in nature or an after market. I've attached a pic of the passenger seat. The passenger seat in good shape while the driver seat need a bit of repair. Both seat need to have the seat tilt lactch replaced. Can anyone tell me it these are Avanti production seats? There are not numbers or tags on the seat or the the base/slider. They are leather. Thanks.

post-10855-0-09275800-1422233077_thumb.jpg

Cowboy91 I would say your seats are not stock. My '70' was built shortly after yours, mine is RQB 1553. My Avanti came with the stock seats that are called "command center" seats. The pleats on the command center seats run vertically while yours run horizontal. Also I don't think the command center seats had tilt. Believe me you do not want the command center seats, they are the most uncomfortable car seat I have ever sat in. I yanked those out and replaced them with seats from a "97" Camaro. Many Avanti II owners have replaced the front seats in their cars. To most Avanti II owners originality is not a big deal, not like the Studebaker Avanti of 63 and 64. Most of us are thrilled to have an Avanti and do whatever we want to make them our cars, including changing the front seats. I say have your seats rebuilt, put them back in your Avanti and enjoy your car.

Jim

That definitely is not a stock Avanti seat, though it's general outline is similar. It could aftermarket or transplanted from a different car. Avantis have had front seats changed so often it's nothing to worry about...particularly with an Avanti II as already said.

I have not found the Command Center seats in my 76 Avanti II that uncomfortable, they are firm, but do offer good support. They are angled a little too much to the back for me though and there is no adjustment that I have seen for that. I have taken the car on at least three trips over 500 miles in the past three years and have not had any back issues like I usually do in my wife's mini-van. I wouldn't mind getting a pair of Recaro's but that's not in the near term budget as the car is getting painted this winter.

Avanti7, Gunslinger, plwindish. Thanks for the input. These seat do have a back support adjustment. I found them comfortable when I drove the vehicle home. The mounting frame is well done, all tig welded and matched the factory mounting points. So for now I'll take them to the shop that done work for me in the past to have the leather repaired on the one seat and see if they can figure out the latch system. I've seen Jeep products with similar high back seat so maybe that is where they came from.