Interiort wood trim

boogieman

I don't know the specific answer, but I would think it would be listed on the production order from the sales invoice by what the buyer wanted. There was a lot of brushed aluminum used as dash and console inlays as well as walnut, light burl and who knows how many other materials. One Avanti was done with a solid marble inlay provided by the customer.

This is a good question. What I mean is: Take my '83 Avanti for example....the PO denotes wood veneer for dash and console....but I've always wondered if a copy of this PO was attached to the car as it moved along the 'assembly' line....Kind of like the 'sacred cow' Mopar 'Broadcast Sheet' did?

In at least one case, my 1979, how did the assembly line denote what wood trim was specified for each car?

I'm not sure this is the answer you want but when I disassembled my 74 almost every interior panel had the RQB# on it. So my guess is once the interior was ordered, as each piece was manufactured, it was added to the pile with the car number on it to keep the parts together.

As an added thought, my ignition key number was noted on the driver door where the door panel would cover it.

• 2 months later...

Sorry about the delayed response.

While inspecting every aspect of my car, my 10 year old grandson pulled the console ashtray out.

Down on the trans tunnel was a small piece of wood about 1/2" x 2" in size. The VIN was written on the back side,

"2897" - Italian Ash, as indicated on the build sheet.

Interesting to find this sample piece so, I guess, the assembly floor got it right.

Anyone else find this sample?

• 2 weeks later...

Your car's number should also be grease penciled on the backside of the door panels as well.

My 76, 2392, did not have a sample piece of the walnut it is equipped with in the console under the ash tray as I've had it apart several times and did not find that type of a "nugget". I did find a roughly 2 sq inch piece of the original shag carpeting at the top of the driver's side interior firewall. That shag carpeting was some ugly stuff. I'm glad it had a more modern type carpeting in it when I bought it.