Dash Pad

studegard

How difficult is it to replace the dash pad on a 1963 Avanti? Does the whole dash need to be removed or can the pad be replaced with the dash in place? I am new to the Avanti world. but I'm looking to purchase one which needs the pad replaced.

The whole dash needs to be removed. It really isn't that big a deal if you follow the shop manual instructions. Individual cars might be more of a pain than others but the procedure is very straightforward.

studegard,...If you do undertake this job, it sure would be a good time to change out all the red instrument light bulbs with new ones....and also a great opportunity to look over and repair the underdash wiring, wiper mechanism lubrication, renew the radio, etc.....Good luck

Thanks to all for all the great info! Still negotiating on the deal. Just wanting to get a better idea of what I'm getting into. The car seems to be a good "driver" as is, a RI 4speed, 70,000 miles. Good hog troughs. For show quality it would need paint, upholstery and chrome.

studegard,...If you do undertake this job, it sure would be a good time to change out all the red instrument light bulbs with new ones....and also a great opportunity to look over and repair the underdash wiring, wiper mechanism lubrication, renew the radio, etc.....Good luck

While you have the dash removed from the car, I agree that it is a good time to replace the instrument light bulbs with new red bulbs.... but even better, replace them with red LED bulbs. There was a good tech article by new AOAI board member Bill Henderson in Avanti Magazine Issue #167 last fall, which includes the company to order from. Several have used the LED bulbs from this company and they love how it improves the dash gauge lighting. The bulbs are direct replacements for the originals.

Call and order them from mustang project.com.. 1-800-631-0507. They offer the Avanti kit in white, blue or the factory original red. Cost of each kit is $49.95. If your call and order, tell them you heard about them from Avanti Magazine.