Taking the body off

tanda62

I am almost ready to take the body off my 63. I plan to make a rolling frame to support it and am wondering if anyone has some tips for supporting the body off the frame. Thanks in advance for any and all assistance!

Tom

6 hours ago, tanda62 said:

I am almost ready to take the body off my 63. I plan to make a rolling frame to support it and am wondering if anyone has some tips for supporting the body off the frame. Thanks in advance for any and all assistance!

Tom

I have lifted them with beams through the window openings.  For a frame to support the body, how about using the body to frame mount points?  

Edited by studegary
corrected to beams

I have supported the bare body, no glass, interior etc, on 2 4x4s. One just ahead of the rear wheel opening and one just behind the front wheel opening. The body is pretty strong and not very heavy. As long as the A pillars and windshield frame are intact, there should be no problem. I have had a body supported in this manner for several months, due to some delays based on medical issues, with no signs of any issues.

Now if I can figure out a way to get it safely mounted on my rotisserie...

Of course, need my M.D. to clear working again.

Edited by 64studeavanti

Might not work on an Avanti, but when I owned the stripping shop ( blasted with plastic media  or walniut shells and fine glass bead at low pressure).we used to unbolt the body from the frame of a full frame car. Lift the body straight up and took 2 inch black pipe cut 11 1/2 inches long and used 12 inch 1/2 inch  bolts to run up through the black pipe. Stood the pipe up and then dropped the body back down to be hovering over the frame  at each body bolt location. The bolts were run up tight and the body was one with the frame again. This did two things for us, gave us a rolling cart to move the body around the shop. Also allowed us to blast clean the complete frame and under body except the 2 inch pipe location. If this was going to be a real show restoration, we would then pull one pipe out at a time to clean that area. We did this on older Corvettes  too but never an Avanti so don't know if it would work? I think it would.  many of the shops that brought the vehicles to us didn't have enough room to keep the bosy and frames seperated, keeping them as one unit made it easier on everyone.  Plus no tweaking of the body with out supporting structure. 

Tom, I have the front post directly under the cowl mounts. I have also fabricated an extension out front with one support up to the radiator support as I do not like the weight of the front hanging. I cut the orig inner fenders out and built new so I was concerned with the front drooping while I did the inner fenders. With the center open I was able to replace the hog troughs as well with no issues.

Wasjunk, thanks for the further explanation and the photos.  All of this will really help me.  I am going to have to replace/repair my radiator support so probably a good thing to do before lifting the body.

Tom

• 3 months later...

Finally got the body off the frame! Four of us lifted the stripped body but really should have had a couple more guys, will have more when the time comes to put the body back on.  I am using a body cart from Redline and bolted a square tube of aluminum to the hog troughs on either side for the body to rest on the cart.  U bolts hold the tube to the cart.  Now I have good access to under the body and can start taking apart the chassis for the rebuild - new or refurbish is the plan.

Body off frame 01.gif

Body off frame 03.gif