R5 Avanti!

mfg

• 2 weeks later...

The sign in the photo reads "The R5 engine from the Due Cento Bonneville Avanti" which is incorrect. The engine is a clone and is not the engine from the Due Cento, however the left hand blower bracket, cogged pulleys and induction sheet metal is from the R5. These pieces were removed from the engine when it was pulled after the runs and they were replaced by an R4 manifold with the blowers run to each carb and installed for a time in another Avanti. The short block, magneto, exhaust manifolds and bendix fuel injection unit are not original to the R5. The Bendix fuel injection unit that was used on the R5 was borrowed from the Indy Novi and was returned to the Indy car after the Bonneville runs. It is currently on the Indy car in the Indy museum. Kudos tp Greg Cone for putting together this great display so that eveyone could see what the R5 looked like!

To; r5duecento......Since no one else has asked,...I guess i will!!.....Do you think that there is any chance of your car, the Due Cento, and Greg Cone's R5 'display' engine ever being 'united'??...I'd sure like to attend THAT wedding!!!

I can make the blower mount for the left side. And the cog drive looks easy enough.

Edited by brad

To; r5duecento......Since no one else has asked,...I guess i will!!.....Do you think that there is any chance of your car, the Due Cento, and Greg Cone's R5 'display' engine ever being 'united'??...I'd sure like to attend THAT wedding!!!

No. I do not wish to do any joint ventures on the car. The original EX engine will be installed in the car which set the 29 land speed records so that it can be driven. At some point in time, I may install some pieces if the car could be driven if either Greg will some day part with the original pieces or as an alternative I have them reproduced.

No. I do not wish to do any joint ventures on the car. The original EX engine will be installed in the car which set the 29 land speed records so that it can be driven. At some point in time, I may install some pieces if the car could be driven if either Greg will some day part with the original pieces or as an alternative I have them reproduced.

Thank you for this response.....and BEST OF LUCK with your most interesting project!!