AVANTI MAGAZINE Issue 193

mfg

Just received the latest issue of AVANTI MAGAZINE (issue 193)...I notice that although one of the other auto related magazines I subscribe to has gotten 'thinner', due of course to much less activity in calendar year 2020 because of the covid virus, AVANTI MAGAZINE seems to somehow have gotten 'thicker'!...Well done editor!

I would like to mention the Studebaker Drivers Club position statement found on pg 38....Dennis Foust, President of SDC, is adamant that the 57th International SDC Meet, which will be held in Indianapolis, will be a closed event....and that's simply one more reason that after giving it quite a bit of thought, the decision I made last year to leave the Studebaker Drivers Club was sound. (I had been a member since 1968)

I would rejoin the SDC in a heartbeat...but only after the powers that be return that club to what it once was..... a fun, low pressure auto enthusiasts club..... instead of the highly regulated business ($$$$$) it has now become.....Ed

Just received the latest email issue of AVANTI MAGAZINE (issue 193)...I notice that when I tried to look at the digital version it only let me see the first 4 pages. If I wanted to see the full version I had to pay $30.99. The email said the digital form was free. (The Avanti Owners Association International made our quarterly magazine available in digital form to all current members at NO ADDITIONAL COST.) Is this an error or something new?

1 hour ago, MCAVANTI said:

Just received the latest email issue of AVANTI MAGAZINE (issue 193)...I notice that when I tried to look at the digital version it only let me see the first 4 pages. If I wanted to see the full version I had to pay $30.99. The email said the digital form was free. (The Avanti Owners Association International made our quarterly magazine available in digital form to all current members at NO ADDITIONAL COST.) Is this an error or something new?

You need to have a Joomag account.

Due to increased security online, you will need to log onto your free Joomag account after accessing new issue. If you do not have a Joomag account, simply click the "Full Version" link on the cover, then click the "Sign Up" link at the top of the pop up window to create a new "Newsstand" account to give you FREE access to the new issue.

On 2/27/2021 at 11:02 AM, MCAVANTI said:

@MCAVANTI

This procedure is done to protect the integrity of both our digital magazine provider's system as well at the AOAI website.

If you want to read the digital magazine:

When you click the link in the email and the front cover appears in your web browser, click the blue “Full Version” button at the bottom of the magazine front cover.

1) A pop up box appears, with a line at the bottom of the pop up box: "Already purchased this publication? Access” Click the Access link.

286325571_ScreenShot2021-02-26at7_21_58AM.jpg.ccb1d1e183d8aa089bf67866e21c58a3.jpg

2) If you previously signed up with a free Joomag account, then log in on this page after clicking the Access link, using your email address and password you previously chose for the Joomag service. 
1418038715_ScreenShot2021-02-26at7_44_41AM.jpg.c644f0708e3e455bb97ffb5dbdeb41f5.jpg

OR….. 

If you do not have a free Joomag account, click the "Don't have a Joomag account? Sign Up link at the top of this page that appears.
1438255494_ScreenShot2021-02-26at7_22_15AM.jpg.5a96dd721bef2e8572c6ae871da55efa.jpg

3) This next page is titled “Sign up for Newstand”.  Fill in. your name, the same email address from which you received our publication email, and choose a password (and check the I’m not a robot box) and then click the Sign up button. 

You should now be able to read and view the entire magazine.

From now on, remember to log into the service with your email address and password to view future magazines through the Access link after clicking on the front cover.

Edited by ALAGENT99

On 2/25/2021 at 6:24 PM, mfg said:

Just received the latest issue of AVANTI MAGAZINE (issue 193)...I notice that although one of the other auto related magazines I subscribe to has gotten 'thinner', due of course to much less activity in calendar year 2020 because of the covid virus, AVANTI MAGAZINE seems to somehow have gotten 'thicker'!...Well done editor!

I would like to mention the Studebaker Drivers Club position statement found on pg 38....Dennis Foust, President of SDC, is adamant that the 57th International SDC Meet, which will be held in Indianapolis, will be a closed event....and that's simply one more reason that after giving it quite a bit of thought, the decision I made last year to leave the Studebaker Drivers Club was sound. (I had been a member since 1968)

I would rejoin the SDC in a heartbeat...but only after the powers that be return that club to what it once was..... a fun, low pressure auto enthusiasts club..... instead of the highly regulated business ($$$$$) it has now become.....Ed

At first reading, I also was disappointed in SDC's decision regarding a closed event.  However, absent a discussion with Denny or any SDC Board member about the reasoning behind the decision, I am reluctant to go high-order over the matter.  I served on the SDC Board and as SDC VP for a number of years in the 80s and 00s, and remember that there were often complicating factors that made decisions difficult and initially unpopular.  In that pre-Internet age, I spent many, many hours on the phone (and even writing letters) explaining board decisions to unhappy members.  

On the one hand, I have always appreciated the fact that the three clubs honored each other's members by allowing them free access to joint meet events.  On the other hand, I am aware that big intl meets, while almost mandatory for a car club, have become a major financial drain on SDC, as local chapter members age and decline to take on the chore of doing most of the work.  Venues capable of handling such meets have become more difficult to find and much more expensive.  Given these circumstances, it seems unlikely that we will ever return SDC "to what it once was". One way we can alleviate this problem is to register for both SDC and AOAI meets.

And for the life of me, I can't figure out who "the powers that be" might be.  SDC, like many such organizations, has a lot of trouble finding ANYONE to run for elected office (or even vote).  During my last election for the board, I ran unopposed.  Two years earlier, I won by 13 votes to 11 votes -- in a zone with about 1000 members.  Since I declined to run again, the club has had trouble finding ANY candidates for the position.  So I will withhold any opinions regarding the closed meets until I get more data.

5 hours ago, Skip Lackie said:

At first reading, I also was disappointed in SDC's decision regarding a closed event.  However, absent a discussion with Denny or any SDC Board member about the reasoning behind the decision, I am reluctant to go high-order over the matter.  I served on the SDC Board and as SDC VP for a number of years in the 80s and 00s, and remember that there were often complicating factors that made decisions difficult and initially unpopular.  In that pre-Internet age, I spent many, many hours on the phone (and even writing letters) explaining board decisions to unhappy members.  

On the one hand, I have always appreciated the fact that the three clubs honored each other's members by allowing them free access to joint meet events.  On the other hand, I am aware that big intl meets, while almost mandatory for a car club, have become a major financial drain on SDC, as local chapter members age and decline to take on the chore of doing most of the work.  Venues capable of handling such meets have become more difficult to find and much more expensive.  Given these circumstances, it seems unlikely that we will ever return SDC "to what it once was". One way we can alleviate this problem is to register for both SDC and AOAI meets.

And for the life of me, I can't figure out who "the powers that be" might be.  SDC, like many such organizations, has a lot of trouble finding ANYONE to run for elected office (or even vote).  During my last election for the board, I ran unopposed.  Two years earlier, I won by 13 votes to 11 votes -- in a zone with about 1000 members.  Since I declined to run again, the club has had trouble finding ANY candidates for the position.  So I will withhold any opinions regarding the closed meets until I get more data.

Skip,...thank you for your thoughtful reply.....I first became apprehensive of Studebaker Drivers Club leadership when I asked what the administrator of the SDC Forum's salary was .....and had to really pry that info out of him......he was not happy about my inquiry!.....as a (then) dues paying member of SDC, I felt payroll information such as that should be openly posted for anyone who may be interested to see.........Was that an incorrect assumption?

I do believe most officers of the Studebaker Drivers Club are decent, honest people.....however, this "closed international event" business indeed made me wonder.....Ed

My memories of serving on the SDC board are mostly pleasant ones, mostly because of being allowed to work with people like George Krem and Stu Chapman.  But it did cost me a fair amount (there was no compensation) to fly to board meetings at intl meets that I would not have otherwise attended.  And I was too damn lazy to request reimbursement for things like phone calls and postage.

I have no feeling for what duties might be listed in the SDC forum administrator's position description, but they couldn't pay me enough if I had to read every posting every day.  The thought of spending that much time in front of a computer makes my stomach hurt.

2 minutes ago, Skip Lackie said:

My memories of serving on the SDC board are mostly pleasant ones, mostly because of being allowed to work with people like George Krem and Stu Chapman.  But it did cost me a fair amount (there was no compensation) to fly to board meetings at intl meets that I would not have otherwise attended.  And I was too damn lazy to request reimbursement for things like phone calls and postage.

I have no feeling for what duties might be listed in the SDC forum administrator's position description, but they couldn't pay me enough if I had to read every posting every day.  The thought of spending that much time in front of a computer makes my stomach hurt.

Frankly Skip, it seems he relegates the day to day Stude forum duties to his subordinates, who are indeed unpaid,and rakes in a pretty penny while doing just that!:(