Avanti Misinformation!

mfg

Any Avanti owners out there have any thoughts on what is the 'MOST WRONG' question or inquiry concerning Avanti automobiles that you've been subjected to?....One thing that comes to my mind is....Avanti?..You mean Allante right??.....Any other thoughts on this 'irritating' question? (PLEASE don't get upset now!)

Two variations of the misinformation...

"Is this one of the Canadian made cars?"

"Are they still made in Canada?"

Others less often heard...

"Is it a kit car?"

"Is it French?"

"Is it Italian?"

"Is it a Cadillac?"

"Is it a Corvette?"

"Do they still come wit Ford engines?"

"Was it made in Canada?"......answer...."never".........but then i just learned that some late models were made in Mexico ......so what do i know...RQB3263

"Made in Canada, right?" is the most asked question or comment if they know what the car is.

"Who makes it?" second if they have no idea.

"It's fiberglass?" the most asked third.

I've even had people rap on the body with there knuckles to test the answer. IDIOTS!

Well, I promised not to interfere with trivia questions, but here is my opinion on this one. Any question about the origin of Avantis is an opportunity to sell the car. I do it all the time. Some casual observers are just making conversation, but with just a little old car knowledge you can plant the Avanti seed. I start with Studebaker, how the Avanti fit and the end of production. Get their attention and tell how advanced the car was for its time. There are no dumb questions if it is your car.

how about: defiantly built on a corvette chassis

the standard engine was a Ford 6 cylinder

the best is always at a car show when an "older" guy is telling his grandson about this car being a flop and a slow car. At that point, I talk to the kid, open the hood, fire up my R2 and say that slow never sounded so real !!!

Mark

Two of the most common questions are: (1)" Oh these have the 283's in them"...... (2) Built in Canada

My '63 is by no means done, but I have been impressed on how many people have stopped me, on the road and local cruise ins, to show interest. Especially the younger guys (under 40), who actually know what it is, and have some appreciation of it's history.

As much as misinformation abounds when it comes to Avantis, it has surprised me how many do have reasonably accurate knowledge of the car and its history and can hold a good conversation and are open to learning more. Some people though, simply do not want to learn accurate information as they don't want to be seen as wrong.

I think the major one is the "but they kept making them in Canada, right?". That is easy to see as some of the passenger car line WAS still made for a bit in Canada and cars with Avanti in their name were made long after 1963. Then there's the confusing lineage after the original Stude ones, where we have some Stude frames w/non-Stude engines and then whole running chassis of various other brands with Avanti-ish bodies atop. I'd have to look up a bunch of different answers based on what I was asked, so I can't make fun of "newbies". I had to eat crow once after "correcting" yet another person saying his buddy owned one with a Ford engine in it. Since Ford also had a 289 V8 there have always been folks who just assumed it was a Ford. In this case I forgot about the Mustang-based later cars.

As much as misinformation abounds when it comes to Avantis, it has surprised me how many do have reasonably accurate knowledge of the car and its history and can hold a good conversation and are open to learning more...

Very true, IMHO a testament to the car still being remembered well, and often fondly.

• 2 weeks later...

As much as misinformation abounds when it comes to Avantis, it has surprised me how many do have reasonably accurate knowledge of the car and its history and can hold a good conversation and are open to learning more. Some people though, simply do not want to learn accurate information as they don't want to be seen as wrong.

I agree with this assessment. 95+% of the show going folks don't care much about correctness on our beloved model. The ones that care or are curious will ask the rest just don't care and tend to infuriate some owners well beyond reason.

I post this as a conversation starter about my 83 and go from there. With the curious ones I hold a friendly discussion, the other just aren't worth the time nor frustration for me or them. I have a much better time at shows with this philosophy and have made a few friends along the way.

It also helps to fire it up for interested parties or suggest they spend some time sitting in it.

DSCN0017_zps803ffbd1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Any Avanti owners out there have any thoughts on what is the 'MOST WRONG' question or inquiry concerning Avanti automobiles that you've been subjected to?....One thing that comes to my mind is....Avanti?..You mean Allante right??.....Any other thoughts on this 'irritating' question? (PLEASE don't get upset now!)

Already had that one. As a former Allante' owner (3 of them) one of my buddy's said "Why didn't you just keep the pearl one?"

As my Avanti was in Hamilton Ontario home of the original Sudebaker Canada factory a few people said, oh it never travelled far from home since it was built there.

Had a guy just today comment..."That must be one of them turbo models cause of the bulge on the hood. Right?"

WRONG.

And another..." This one got a Chevy or Ford engine? They made em with either one."

WRONG.

Another pet-peeve is when people pronounce it A- von-tay.

WRONG.

This morning my wife and I went to a community yard sale. I was wearing a very trey chic polo shirt with the Avanti logo on it and an old timer asked if I had ever seen an Avanti. My wife spoke up and politely said we own two. He went on in an apparent attempt to impress us with his Avanti knowledge and confidently mentioned how they were made in Canada.

When I informed him they were never made in Canada he replied "The ones they make now are!" When told Avantis were made in South Bend before moving to Youngstown, Villa Rica and then Cancun, he said "That must be what I'm thinking of."

He stopped talking to us after that.