rqa0319 1969 rear brake cylinders

drat

Ok. My fisrt search of bobs site i didnt find my answer, but my second search found Gunslingers post on how the jeep parts have the wrong bore.

So its either rebuild or replace with parts from one of our vendors for the wheel clynders corret? No crossover parts except the shoes?

And yhe shoes are 11 inch caprice?

Here is some info I've collected in the past (I don't really know much about the industry standard numbering system, and it's possible even the standard numbers have changed over the years, but a good brake supplier/distributor can probably make sense of them, even ones that changed):

rear brake shoes: Industry standard #173 through 1971 Avanti serial 1661, Industry standard #228 after serial 1661 (but I also have conflicting info saying all '63-'83 Avanti's have a Spicer 44 axle and use EIS #ES449R shoes)

rear wheel cylinders: 78-86 Ford Fairmont wagon, or 62-63 Mustang & 73 Fairmont sedan, or Wagner F37782

rear springs & other hardware are 66-73 Jeep CJ with 11" drums: EIS# H7137

rear brake flex hose: NAPA #11146 or EIS SP948

I expect the Avanti parts suppliers may be the safest source.

Edited by WayneC

Do not use the Jeep wheel cylinders! They look and fit the same as the units for an Avanti but the cylinder bore is 7/8" where the proper bore should be 3/4". Install them and when you hit the brakes the rear brakes will lock up from excessive pressure from the now unbalanced system. I discovered that the hard way. Get the wheel cylinders from Myer's Studebaker and you'll have the correct part.

Parts manufacturers are consolidating numbers to reduce inventory levels of old applications and sometimes errors like this occur.

The brake shoe number for the rear is B173 until into the 1971 model year.

Gun, thanks i read your post from before on that thanks for the heads up.

I fully support our vendors, but this is my daily right now and if i can get the parts local and more quickly i need to do that so i can have transportation.

I have 1969 rqa0319, so which ever one that is. Is that considered early? I thought my car was all studebaker (which ever parts studebaker used) except the chevy motor and borg tranny.

So im confused. Which ones of the above work with my Rqa?

Your RQA is essentially a Studebaker other than the engine and some detail parts, plus options offered by Avanti Motors not offered by Studebaker. Even the automatic transmission is a Borg Warner PowerShift, though the bell housing and torque converter are different.

There's nothing wrong with obtaining parts locally but some may be incorrect in application listings after all these years. You just have to keep that in mind. Any parts advice also assumes the parts in question have not been changed and modified by a prior owner.

Your Avanti did come with standard Studebaker Avanti rear brakes. About the only differences between a Studebaker Avanti and your car's brake system is the change to a dual circuit master cylinder and maybe the distribution block and proportioning valve. Everything else should be the same.

drat, I just finished replacing the rear brakes including the lines over the axle, T, and flex line on RQA-0271 last week. I tried to get the wheel cylinders and shoes here locally by checking with our NAPA and another independent FLAPS without success. I ended up purchasing the wheel cylinders, brake shoes T and flex line from Studebaker International. The cylinders are expensive at $90 each, but they do have them. The brake shoes are reasonably priced, but they do have a core chrage of $100. I had them sent USPS Priority mail and they arrived here in Oregon in about 4 days. I bent the hard lines myself from straight tubing stock. I have used SI's brake shoes on other Studebakers in the past and I like the lining material they use. They are a bit softer than some others I have tried. You may need some assistance from someone to hold the shoes in place while you install the big return spring. Those old style drum brakes that were used on the Avanti and a whole bunch of old Stude pickups were a bit more difficult to do than the newer self energizer types used later, at least for me anyway.

• 2 weeks later...