63 R2 pricing

2500HD

Is 27K the total miles engine, Paxton and car? Is color the original gold? How many miles driven recently. Are the pics current? Anything not working? Someone to demo car? Where exactly is it? Answer these questions and I might make an offer.

There is a comparable (or better) R2 at eBay that just exceeded reserve of $20K. Without more complete information about the car shown how can mfg advise asking $28K?

Edited by dapy

Nice pics. Now I can see what my car looked like out of the factory. My build sheet says Avanti gold. I expect it also had a Fawn interior.

My car was completely changed to a Chrysler metallic red. They did a heck of a job of covering all the original paint including engine compartment, under body, inside doors and every other place I have been able to see into. It also has a custom interior of black leatherette with burgundy inserts in the seats.

I like the little tool tray under the hood of the car that is pictured above.

Is there a build sheet that goes with this car?

Edited by StudeNorm

2500HD,

Email me and I will send you an information sheet to complete and then you can publish it on this forum to eliminate the ad hoc questions. In the meantime look at the red R2 at eBay. It is a good presentation. Minor blemishes, but looks real good. Good pics sell the car for more.

Dave Pyle • dap8@comcast.net

Yes, well 2500HD, who hasn't driven or seen the relative's car in some time (maybe ever) might not consider selling it a "game". Speaking of games littering the forum with Q&A which have little to do with promoting the cars, or owner interests, might be considered 'much ado about nothing'. Fun and useless games. How many postings in the last 48 hours?

Yes, well 2500HD, who hasn't driven or seen the relative's car in some time (maybe ever) might not consider selling it a "game". Speaking of games littering the forum with Q&A which have little to do with promoting the cars, or owner interests, might be considered 'much ado about nothing'. Fun and useless games. How many postings in the last 48 hours?

I have to tell you Dapy, that from your comments directed towards myself over the last few months, I perceive you to be a very 'negative' person.....I sincerely hope that I am wrong about this,..but you REALLY DO come across that way.

Have you happened to notice the increased activity on this AOAI FORUM since the 'Trivia' started?...And the increases in AOAI FORUM membership?...Think about it!

Edited by mfg

I HAVE thought about it. If your forum activity is a 'good work' sponsored by AOAI to promote owner/member interests I am for you. However if you are simply displaying your vast trivia knowledge I am against you. I participate in similar enthusiast forums and none would tolerate this endless (and useless) Q&A. The fact that most questions go unanswered should give us a clue. IMO it's boring stuff.

Yes, I am negative when I observe someone monopolizing a forum with trivia. I'm not looking for anyone's agreement just registering a personal complaint.

Could you quantify the "improved" forum participation due to your efforts?

I HAVE thought about it. If your forum activity is a 'good work' sponsored by AOAI to promote owner/member interests I am for you. However if you are simply displaying your vast trivia knowledge I am against you. I participate in similar enthusiast forums and none would tolerate this endless (and useless) Q&A. The fact that most questions go unanswered should give us a clue. IMO it's boring stuff.

Yes, I am negative when I observe someone monopolizing a forum with trivia. I'm not looking for anyone's agreement just registering a personal complaint.

Could you quantify the "improved" forum participation due to your efforts?

And what have YOU done for the AOAI recently?.....Besides complain that is!

Yes gunny. My email is part of this discussion so I can help the seller. I should have sent my trivia concern to mfg privately. I was hoping for support here. Let trivia roll on. I won't comment.

To answer mfg's question: I have owned three Avantis and promote the mark any way I can. I tried to start a Houston AOAI chapter, had two good meetings but it was clear that AOAI had contacted another Houston owner and set him up as a shill. He is now anointed with AOAI's support and blessing. If it works it will be a good group. I hate politics.

I challenged AOAI to produce a business/financial plan which would provide future direction. The officers said they are working on it. I suggested that the Web site is sub standard and does not reflect well on the cars, the organization and offers the members little for their dues which basically pay for an editor and slick quarterly magazine. Excellent product.

So, mfg, whoever and wherever you are...yes, I am negative and all for "trivia" as long as it helps members with their cars and is not just your show case.

Dave Pyle • AOAI 033032P

dap8@comcast.net

Edited by dapy

I think disagreements like this could better be handled off forum by private messages. Just sayin'.

I agree with you Gunslinger...I like to keep things 'light', and focused on our common interest...AVANTIS!.

I agree with everything dapy said in his last two posts, good points.

The most expensive Avanti I recall was Jim McCuan's low mileage 12K original R2 that sold on Ebay a couple of years ago. It was as nice an original as one could find and IIRC it went in the low/mid 40"s.

With cars like these you are as likely it goes to someone that values it on Ebay as any other site.

The buyer of my '63 R2 chose not to buy all the substantial extra parts, street wheels and tires and memorabilia that I had collected for it. By the time I personally delivered to his home, he paid a bit more that $50,000 and there were two backup bidders who wanted it for that if he had backed out. Wish I had it back as it will likely never be seen at an Avanti meet again.

Edited by Jim McCuan

I personally know a few that have sold for more than that. A 63 customized R3 without the engine went for 84K and a true R3 (one of the 9) went for 129K including fees, at auction. I always say if you want to get the money, then advertise where money hangs out. One may have many more people looking at places like Ebay, but they are the Walmart crowd.

• 2 weeks later...

No disrespect to you or your father-in-law, but are the low miles documented with repair receipts? From the limited view photos, I see too many things that would detract an "all original" or "low mileage" type buyer who would pay in the upper price bracket for a low mileage car. The biggest item that puts the low mileage in question for me is the replaced seat upholstery on the driver's seat. It is a coarser grain than original. Also, the tachometer is a later Stewart-Warner, the gas and brake pedals are not correct, the gauge cluster and console overlays have been painted black and the gold paint color on the body is too dark.

Don't mean to sound picky, but I see too many cars advertised as low mileage with nothing to back it up but a story or what the previous owner told the current one. This has always been a problem with older cars that have five digit odometers. Your father-in-law may have done these modifications or the previous owner did them. Regardless, without documentation of the mileage, the car looks like an older cosmetic restoration and not an ultra-low mileage original and would bring 15 to 20k depending on its mechanical condition and roadworthiness.

Edited by Paul K.

No disrespect taken Paul. All of these little items are why i came to this forum. I want to be as accurate as possible before listing it for an absurd price. Dave has sent me a question sheet to fill out that i forwarded to my father inlaw. Hopefully this will fill in all the gaps in my information.

Not to end this discussion, but in my contact with the person responsible for selling the R2 it appears that further detail will not be forthcoming and that pricing may be unrealistic. Stand by...

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delayed response. Work is killin me. Unfortunately dapy is partially correct. His pricing is unrealistic and when i gave him dapy's question sheet this is what i received as a response.

I bought my Avanti from a man who had worked for Studebaker and was interested in its cars. To give you an idea about him: He once bought a late nineteen-thirty touring Studebaker in northern New England at a flee market. It was known as a Sunburst because it had a sun inside of the front doors on leather patterned like the sun rising from the lower front of a door and the rays spreading all the way up the door. Well, he wanted to restore it and bought the appropriate kind of letter and a sewing machine and redid the doors and the whole car. He was a client of mine and a I handled his investments. So I knew him quite well. When he bought the Avanti it had to be nothing but perfect. It became his Avanti. Seat belts were added to cars, and with the high speed of the car (160 mph) he thought it should have been added by Studebaker, but it did not. So he got or probably had seat belts made for the front seats with an A for Avanti on the buckles and installed them anchored behind the front seats in the sturdy floor board, which was I believe the same as half-ton Studebaker trucks.
He did not like the color of the car which was pea green, and had it professionally changed to gold.
He replaced the hubcaps which had been the same as other current Studebakers (I still have them). The hubcaps has a A for obvious reasons.
He also in good taste spruced up the double exhaust pipes behind the trunck. The pictures we sent you might show this.
He told me himself that he had replaced what I believe were moving parts. I have had no trouble sin owning it since 1986.
We are checking hear with the local antique car club ti which I have belonged myself.

Interesting story, but won't win many prospects. Should I ask price? Is there anyway to get a nearby Avanti guru to look at and help him sell the car? I can find an owner in the AOAI Directory with his location and contact information...but not to waste time.

Whether the collectors market is improving is open to argument...different areas of the country are different. Maybe those with the finances are comfortable enough to begin looking. It could also be due to those looking for cars...particularly turnkey cars...tend to look about this time of year to be ready to go when the weather gets good and values will reflect that.