Mechanical pump for 289 Avanti

Alan Blalock

I am looking for a mechanical fuel pump for my 1964 Avanti with a 289. Many people are telling me a Carter #M2211  will fit. I called Carter Automotive direct and they tell me it fits an early to late 50's 289, but don't know if it is the same block as my 1964. Can anyone tell me without a doubt that they have installed this pump on a later 289? I don't really feel like buying one if I have to return it.  Thanks in advance.

I have a Dave T pump on my R2. I spent a lot of time and money trying to get a correct rebuild kit only to box up the old pump/kits and get one fully configured and ready to go from Dave. It has been working like a charm for years now.

Edited by StudeNorm

Carter High Performance X Fuel Pump Rebuild Kit - Dead Nuts On

This is the ONLY place I have found that makes a good kit for the stock pumps. Won't work on the modern Chrysler replacements. They have 8 screws holding the housings together, originals have 6. This has the correct caged valves, not some stupid brass bullet casing/rivet. 

• 2 weeks later...

What Brad says....  we have rebuilt several original R-series Carter fuel pumps using the kits from the link in the above post.   It makes our original fuel pumps better than new, as this company uses pump diaphragms that are resistant to the alcohol in our modern day fuels.