Mount body shell on rotisserie

64studeavanti

Never done this, but I would think (front to rear) ...1) at radiator core support (using core support to frame bracket holes)....2) at main body to frame mounts under firewall.

3) in rear area where rear frame 'kickups' bolt through fiberglass trunk floor.

I've done a number of steel bodies but not an Avanti but I think I would use the firewall mounts and the rear as Ed suggested. Hopefully Brad Bez will find this and comment on how he does it. If not, you could try to PM or email him.

Leaning toward firewall mounts for front. IMO, using the radiator support mounts leaves a lot of unsupported fiberglass.  I am afraid it would at least crack if not worse.  Will investigate the trunk floor.

For now, I have the shell resting on a pair of 4x4 spanning the front and rear of the hogs.

4 hours ago, 64studeavanti said:

Leaning toward firewall mounts for front. IMO, using the radiator support mounts leaves a lot of unsupported fiberglass.  I am afraid it would at least crack if not worse. 

I might not understand what you mean....but it seems to me that NOT utilizing the radiator core support mounts would leave a considerable amount of unsupported fiberglass!:o

Once again...(front to rear)...........Radiator core support mounts..........Main body mounts under firewall...........Rear trunk floor body to frame holes:)

I use a body cart, and support the body at the hog troughs, and the front cowl body mount, also at the top of the rear wheel housing. I can remove the trough supports, and the front cowl and rear wheel well are sufficient to support the car. I haven't ever put one on a rotisserie, You can't support the car by the front as there would be enough stress to crack it.

15 minutes ago, brad said:

I haven't ever put one on a rotisserie, You can't support the car by the front as there would be enough stress to crack it.

As neither of us have put an Avanti body on a rotisserie, this is all just conjecture, however, I'm certain that if I had an Avanti body on its side or upside down, supported at the front (firewall) body mounts and trunk rearmost frame holes, I would definitely add an extension of some sort to the rotisserie to at least 'brace up' the front doghouse at the radiator support........To let the doghouse hang by its own weight is, in my opinion, a little bit risky!!:o

10 minutes ago, 64studeavanti said:

The three points under discussion would require quite a bit of fabrication as the widths of those three points are different as well as height.

Like Brad, I have been using the hogs as they are the strongest part of the body.

A body cart and a true 360' body rotisserie are two different things....I've used a body rotisserie before, (although not with an Avanti body),....I can picture the setup...and also that it's sometimes necessary to fab square tubing extensions to accomplish proper support....Best of luck with this!.......Ed:)