exhaust manifold: porcelain or aluminized finish?

BillyBob

A while back I restored a Ford Y-block and when rebuilding the motor, I had the exhaust manifolds aluminized. 20 years later, I was very pleased with the appearance. I'm having some motor work done on my 289 Stude Avanti and would like to "do something similar". I understand porcelain coating today is very popular. No, not a show car a nice driver. Experience? Opinions?

I think you mean ceramic coated, not porcelain. I have ceramic coated exhaust headers and have been very pleased. I would recommend it. Aluminized pipes make up the rest of the exhaust...very pleased with that as well.

aluminized protects very well but can show a little over restoration for a driver as it has a fairly shinny finish. I did it 35 years ago on a 1926 classic when there were no other options other than porcelainizing. Porcelainizing went away after WWII except for Jaguar in the 70's. I have had great experience with "Thermal-Tek" on Pontross Rd. in Hopewell ,VA...owners name s "Andy" This OEM looking finish will take 1400* F...........you'll be very pleased...HAPPY THANKSGIVING

Most people just do the manifolds as the ceramic coating helps to reflect the heat back into the pipe and keeps it out of your engine bay. Make sure they coat the inside of the manifolds too. The heat levels in the rest of your exhaust system are not quite as intense as they are at the manifolds so it's not as necessary and I would imagine it might get a little pricey.

So really it's up to you if you want to spend the dough. Are you having a new exhaust made? If that's the case then spend the money on just doing the new one in stainless.