Owners Manual and Shop Manual - re Supercharger

64tbird

Curiously, my original 1964 Studebaker Avanti Owners Manual makes no mention of the Supercharger. Moreover, the Shop Manual also has no supercharger-related maintenance and repair sections. In fact, the shop manual only mentions the supercharger in connection with how to remove an Avanti engine that has a supercharger on it.

Why is this? I want to know what type of fluid to put in my supercharger, and how high to fill it - there are 2 small indented "dots" on the dipstick but I don't know what fluid to use and to what level to fill it.

Other Studebaker forums say use the old Type "F" fluid used in older Ford cars.

Thank you as always for any insight.

You must have the Avanti specific shop manual. The 59-64 Studebaker shop manual did not cover it unless you have the green Jet Thrust section.

Also the standard Avanti shop manual does cover it in the fuel section.

For lubrication, use B&M Trick Shift transmission fluid (NOT SYNTHETIC). The level should be between the dots on the dipstick.

True good type F is almost impossible to find. B&M is a type F and will work excellent.

I bought some Type F at Auto Zone yesterday but haven't put it in yet - should I buy something else?

Type F (FORD) fluid should be fine....It's a good idea to remove the supercharger from the engine and invert it to make sure it's thoroughly drained out. After that, install and fill the unit up to just under the upper punchmark on the supercharger dipstick.

Thank you, mfg - I did exactly that.

I am still hearing a "whine" coming from the supercharger. I ask if this is normal, because:

1. Although my car was factory equipped with a supercharger, it was missing when I bought the car, and have since had a rebuilt supercharger from Myers Studebaker installed, and never drove the car with the supercharger installed until now; and

2. I heard no whining noise for the first 12 miles or so that I drove it (all on city streets, no highway / freeway driving). Then, only after driving for about 12 miles, a loud whining sound began to come from under the hood. It's coming from the supercharger.

Is this a normal supercharger sound? If so, why would it not make this sound until the car was driven about 12 miles? It makes this noise when I start it up.

I'm afraid to drive it for fear of causing damage to some component.

Thank you

Edited by 64tbird

First of all, congratulations on adding a supercharger; especially from Jon Myers. You should call him ASAP as you purchased it and the mounting brackets from him and hopefully you are still in warranty. The Type F is fine, I did find plenty at NAPPA. Mine; which was rebuilt by Jon, didnt start to wine until 50mph or thereabout.

Jon will suggest using the same ATF as what is used in the Supercharger. Instead of removing and turning upside down, you can get a 10cc syringe, tubing and a small piece of brake line; file the brake line smooth, and use that to draw out the old fluid, introduce new fluid, run on idle for a moment, drain and refill again.

Keep us posted on what Jon says,

Mark

YOU WILL FIND THAT PRECISELY 8 LIQUID OUNCES WILL COME OUT OF THE SUPERCHARGER.....SIMPLY REPLACE WITH PRECISELY 8 OUNCES OF TYPE F OR FA FLUID...... AND YOU SHOULD BE GOOD TO GO ! I DID MEASURE THE FLUID ONCE , THESE AMOUNTS ARE VERY ACCURATE.. JON REBUILT MY SUPERCHARGER TOO!