1983 Loose Steering

MAF

This is my 3rd Avanti and I don't recall having this issue with either of my other cars. This 83 has what I consider too much "play" in the steering wheel probably 2 inches maybe more either way. What can be done to eliminate or tighten it up a bit, any parts to replace? My mechanic doesn't seem to think it's too bad but I don't like it. Thank you

Other than worn suspension and steering parts there should be an adjustment screw/lock nut

on the outside of the steering box. This is accessible through a hole or cut-out in the lower left

splash apron area in the wheel-well. I had to tighten my '79's to lessen the steering wheel play.

Definitely check the adjustment on the box as mentioned but I am curious what year your other Avantis were? Were they Avanti IIs? If so, you will feel a difference or more play in the wheel on '75 and later Avanti IIs because Altman ran out of the original steering boxes at the end of the '74 model year and installed ones from a fork lift.

If everything is tight and you are still not satisfied, look into installing a set of "quick ratio" steering arms. One or more of the Avanti vendors has them (can't remember which one).

I drove my '79 for the first time yesterday after making the adjustment to the box.

Amazing how tight the steering is now from such a simple adjustment.

That and I rebuilt the steering ram that was leaking, so pressure is now maintained in the system.

I went 3/4 turn tighter initially. Too much resistance. Finally settled on 1/4 turn tighter.

No basis for comparison but the steering feels great. Nice and tight, precise, with very little

if any play in the steering wheel.

AI has the quick ratio steering arms. $125/ pair.

When you make the adjustment you want to make sure after making a turn that the steering returns to center on its own. If you have to make effort to get the steering wheel back to center you've tightened the adjusting screw too much.

Also, be careful with the quick steering arms. The intention with them was to return late '70s through 1985 Avantis back to prior steering performance. The change from the original steering box to one from a fork lift hurt the turning radius. If you install the quick steering arms in an earlier car you risk the steering becoming "darty" with little increase in handling performance. The effect is magnified even more if you install a smaller diameter steering wheel than original. Ask me how I know! It's not something you can't get used to but it really isn't worth the effort unless you're rebuilding your suspension anyway.

I've not done that. I only feel play in the steering wheel, mechanic was taken aback by the confusing steering set up so I told him I would put the question out there. Could you give more direction and explanation to your question and what and how to look for up and down play? Thank you

It would be similar up and down movement as a worn idler arm on conventional parallelogram steering. If your mechanic does not understand this, that plus him being a bit taken back by the Studebaker suspension design is not a good sign of his experience.

Edited by Paul K.

Thank you. He hasn't looked at all into it yet, I told him I was going to put the question out before he got involved. I'll then go in with my findings have him look it over and he will let me know if it's something that he wants to get into. He's very upfront with what he does and does not want to do. Thank you again everyone.

Hello everyone, There is no up and down play or movement. The adjusting screw seems to have done the trick. While the left right play is 99 percent better the steering wheel straightens itself out to almost perfect position. Thank you all for your suggestions and advice.