Pushing Avanti!

mfg

I always spin the pushrod several times without lifting up on it, then spin some more and slowly lift up. If it feels heavy, STOP and let it down, then spin the pushrod some more, and repeat.

I'm sure there are other ways though.

6 minutes ago, r1lark said:

I always spin the pushrod several times without lifting up on it, then spin some more and slowly lift up. If it feels heavy, STOP and let it down, then spin the pushrod some more, and repeat.

I'm sure there are other ways though.

I 'get' the idea of spinning the pushrod...breaking the established contact between pushrod & lifter...And no doubt that works!...However, there's frankly an even easier 'sure fire' method of removal that's even quicker.....Anyone??

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2021 at 8:23 AM, StudeNorm said:

Turkey baster...  cut the end off the baster to a point where it fits over the pushrod, draw the lifter up a bit (1/4" or so) squeeze the bulb and off pops the lifter.

That's interesting!!:o

ANSWER.....Kind of hard to explain....but here goes!....Using one hand, you take the cylinder's two pushrods between your fingers and squeeze them towards each other as close as possible....Then simply lift up and withdraw both pushrods together....The slight angle which your hand motion puts on the pushrods binds the lifters in their respective bores, and keeps them there!.....An old timer showed me this when I was a kid, and it always seems to work!:)

That "old timer" I referred to's name was Carl Hayden...Carl was the lead mechanic at Boston Cadillac on Comm Ave for several years, and even made contributions to various years GM Cadillac service manuals....His pushrod trick worked well on the early Cadillac OHV V8's, and he showed me how it worked equally well on the Studebaker.

7 hours ago, mfg said:

ANSWER.....Kind of hard to explain....but here goes!....Using one hand, you take the cylinder's two pushrods between your fingers and squeeze them towards each other as close as possible....Then simply lift up and withdraw both pushrods together....The slight angle which your hand motion puts on the pushrods binds the lifters in their respective bores, and keeps them there!.....An old timer showed me this when I was a kid, and it always seems to work!:)

Thanks.  That is a new one to me.  Much of my Studebaker mechanical info I got from working with a friend who had been the head mechanic at a Studebaker dealer. He used Paul's method.  It does seem that this method would work.