89 Avanti convertible restoration

G10916gordon

I am in the process of restoring my 89 conv. I am looking for sources for door, window and top weather stripping, seat and window motors, switches & latches for trunk & gas cap, convertible top, dash, mounting plates for front seats, upgrades for lights,etc. Also what larger wheel, tire combinations will fit without major modification and source for wire wheels. I am not trying to build a "show car" but just a nice driver that I can take on the occasional trip and attend some meets when It's roadworthy

I am located just north of the Tampa Fl. area and can be reached at 352-588-2701. Any feed back or calls would be greatly appreciated.

Gordon Greenlaw

Most of the listed items can be found at suppliers who advertise in Avanti and Trurning Wheels magazines. I've found most of what I needed at Studebaker International, Myers and Bez. Keep in mind that your car was built on a Caprice Classic chassis with the GM drive train that came with the Chevy. New top application is best done by convertible experts who can also repair the power mechanism if needed. I had a 1989 convertible, but it was like new and only needed an oil change.

dapy,

Thanks for the info, don't know Turning Wheels magazine but will check it out.

Just for the record, Turning Wheels is the magazine from the Studebaker Drivers Club.

Nostalgic Motors in Wixom Michigan is a go to for unique Avanti Parts. The owner Don is very knowledgeable and will usually discuss issues on the phone.

Dan Booth at Nostalgic is very knowledgable about post-Studebaker Avantis and purchased all of Avanti Motors stock of parts and tooling when they left South Bend for Youngstown. Since an '89 would be a Youngstown car, Dan may not have the specific parts but is a rich resource for advice and where to find parts he might not have.

You have to join the SDC to get "Turning Wheels". Worth it. I forgot to mention Nostalgic. All these suppliers offer phone advice. Bez is a particularly good source depending on your location.

I would be interested in your progress pictures as I am interested in the 1987-89 convertibles. My email is dap8@comcast.net. My pics might be helpful.

Dave Pyle

Gordon, Please keep us posted on your progress. I have an 89 rest-mod convertible. Wheel wise, Dayton Wheel Company in Dayton OH would be a source for wires. I also have a 76 that I put Dayton's on 2 years ago and have been happy with them, except for the cleaning. My 89 has American Torque Thrust Mag style wheels, 18's on the front and 20's on the back. PM me with your email and I'll send some pics of the 89's wheels as my pic files are larger than whats allowed to be uploaded on the forum.

Edited by plwindish

• 2 weeks later...

Better late than never. If you are still looking for weather stripping, search "window sweeps". You should see a post I made in 2011 after much searching. Dan Booth could have made the sweeps at about $250 but you need to send him the old sweeps. I found a place in Florida that had them for $35 but be forewarned the rubber on these is narrower than original and if you changed car color you could have a strip of the original color showing. Also, I bought 63 Avanti door weatherstrip from Studebaker International, it seals, but it is not correct. Studebaker Rubber Gaskets, 615 356 7510 has the correct weatherstrip. Ken, Deltaville Va