Puzzling rear suspension modifications

EnduroDriver

Doing rear brakes on the 63R1 and that project is going well but I noticed some more rather questionable modifications done by the previous owner(s). Most of them are either poorly engineered or at least poorly executed but I get what they were trying for. I'm just struggling to figure out why these particular ones were done. Apologize for the picture being upside-down, no matter how modified it it always gets flipped by the website.  

First they installed air shocks which isn't all that unusual I guess but but short of there being a trailer hitch on the car the only reason I can think of is to raise the back-end of the car, give it some more rake. That brings me to the second mod which is they install 1.5" lowering blocks on the axle perch which seems to be totally counter productive if their intent was to raise the car with the shocks.

The final mod was the radius rod has been modified. I don't know if it was shortened or lengthened, the current length bolt center to bolt center is 17-7/8". Not sure if they were trying to make this adjustable but ended up welding it or if that's just what they had lying around. The only thing I can think of here is they wanted to adjust the pinion angle.

Any clues as to what they were trying to do? My first inclination is to restore the original configuration.

20210110_154840.jpg

Edited by EnduroDriver
Pics flipped

At a guess, the intent was to lower the car and the air shocks were to stiffen the suspension to avoid bottoming.  Lowering the suspension also requires lengthening the radius rods.

And yes, I'd return it to original configuration and fit new spring eye, sway bar and radius rod eye bushings and the best gas shocks I could buy.

jack vines

Early Studebaker Lark leaf springs will fit Avantis, however the spring center bolt is 1/2' further back on Larks.........If someone did this, they may have lengthened the radius rod to accommodate.....Bad idea!:o