Manual trunk release on '82

Kirvine

My guess is yours is electric and in the glovebox on the drivers side. The manual release is below the drivers side rear seat near the floor if you have one.

You can open the trunk by opening the access in the rear shelf and with a flashlight you will see a slot in the trunk release mechanism. Put a long screwdriver (flat blade) in the slot and turn. It will release the trunk lid. Bob

Edited by Avanti83

I agree that the power trunk release button is probably in the glove box...it was standardized in that location by that point. Earlier cars had the release button under the drivers side of the dash. I believe its exact location often depend on the individual assembly person working on the car.

Once you find your way into the trunk, you might end up doing what many have done...simply don't like the trunk unless absolutely necessary to avoid a broken cable release or dead battery leaving no way into a locked trunk full of luggage or other bulky items allowing no access to the lock mechanism from the access hatch.

• 6 years later...

Hey folks.

Does anyone have a photo of this "slot" thats supposed to be on the mechanism to manually open the trunk from the inside?  I have poked around the whole mechanism and failed to fit a screwdriver anywhere that turns.  I'm not generally stupid, but I'm stumped.  My electric release was working fine, and then stopped working.  it makes a sound, but does not unlatch.  something is stuck or not fully engaged.  I'm trying to get the screwdriver thing to work and feeling like an idiot.

😞

Okay update to the above:  I got it open, I guess the giant slot is what folks mean, and some kind of king kong screwdriver would trip the lever.  BUT now that I got it open and tested it out, i'm not sure what is wrong.  It unlatches great when nothing is in it.  Also, if I unlatch it and someone pulls up on the trunk at the same time it opens fine.  So... is there supposed to be some upward spring pressure?  (there isn't as far as I can tell)  thats all I can figure.  the hinges are spring loaded scissor type things, and they hold the trunk up great.  But as soon as you start closing, it falls like dead weight.  there is no upward spring action at the closing position.  Its a frustrating thing to try and diagnose without being a gnome who can sit in the closed trunk.  Any advice here?  thanks again.

I believe the trunk seal will give enough trunk lift when the trunk release is activated if it’s adjusted properly (slightly snug) and the seal is not hard

Hi 1inxs.

So the springs on the hinge do not provide any lift?   And corollary, since you have an 81 just a few numbers from mine, do you know how/where to get the correct springs?  I'm figuring they have to do *something*.  the seals look like in good shape, but I'll check its snug adjustment.  (snugness is adjustable?)  🙂

12 hours ago, JavierB said:

Hi 1inxs.

So the springs on the hinge do not provide any lift?   And corollary, since you have an 81 just a few numbers from mine, do you know how/where to get the correct springs?  I'm figuring they have to do *something*.  the seals look like in good shape, but I'll check its snug adjustment.  (snugness is adjustable?)  🙂

The springs are listed in SI's catalog.  However, I do not believe that you will gain anything in replacing them.  As has been stated, your problem lies in the adjustment of the release/trunk lid/trunk seal.

19 hours ago, JavierB said:

Hi 1inxs.

The springs will not affect the problem you are dealing with. Yes, snugness is adjustable. You need to adjust the latch so the trunk is snug against the opening. When you trigger the release, the trunk will lift slightly allowing you to open it.

Okay, so I checked the seals more carefully and realize that after decades of being shut, they still *look* good, but they are totally squashed and have no "springiness" left.  I had no idea they were even supposed to be a U-shape until I pried the two halves apart.

So I'll pull and replace this seal and see what happens.  Thanks guys.

(this will be continued in a few weeks, as I have to embark on another unrelated project that will leave the Avanti stranded for awhile.  Will resume pestering all of you after the middle of June. )

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2021 at 9:30 PM, 1inxs said:

I believe the trunk seal will give enough trunk lift when the trunk release is activated if it’s adjusted properly (slightly snug) and the seal is not hard

Hey so I've seen some people complain that some replacement trunk seals are too stiff.  any recommendations?  i've seen a few at various prices but not sure which supplier might be the best?  

http://avantiparts.biz/trunk-seal-avanti-1963-to-1985/

https://www.studebakerparts.com/studebakerparts/store/s/agora.cgi?product=rubber7-rubbera&keywords=3177X3

https://collectorsautosupply.com/trunk-rubber-weatherstrip-seal-for-studebaker-avanti-63-68/

1 hour ago, JavierB said:

Hey so I've seen some people complain that some replacement trunk seals are too stiff.  any recommendations?  i've seen a few at various prices but not sure which supplier might be the best?  

http://avantiparts.biz/trunk-seal-avanti-1963-to-1985/

https://www.studebakerparts.com/studebakerparts/store/s/agora.cgi?product=rubber7-rubbera&keywords=3177X3

https://collectorsautosupply.com/trunk-rubber-weatherstrip-seal-for-studebaker-avanti-63-68/

I’ve used Jon Meyers for the trunk seal with good results. Some of the others may get them from the same supplier, but mine is done and works well.