Can somebody help ID this part please?

Zedman

Before somebody berates me for not knowing better- the car is 60 miles away so I can't go look for myself 🙁.

The part is rusting out and must be replaced- it is apparently the Air Injection system  check valve.  As there seems to be quite a few variations (and they all look similar) can anybody id the part number for replacement purposes, please?2017600360_IMG_20210103_141734-Copy.thumb.jpg.4e43d53e3b6970b3d1785882e65c4d3d.jpg

Part of your air injection system for the catalytic converter.  Same as used some of the later 70s -82 Corvettes and some Chevy vehicles!
Valve, air injection reactor check valve, to keep air from blowing back from the manifold!    

here is a listing in one of my corvette parts suppliers!    https://corvetteparts.com/item/valve-air-injection-reactor-check-replacement-1968-1982

AC Delco # 214-1045 Secondary Air Injection Check Valve. One way check valve that allows air from the air pump to the exhaust manifolds, but not the other way. Used to supply additional air into the converter when cold to bring the converter up to temperature faster. They are usually rusted to the air pipe and are a pain to get off without damaging the pipe. If your taking off the air pump, just remove the air pipes to the exhaust manifolds and use steel or brass plugs to seal the holes in the manifolds.

Good luck,

Jim Wood

Edited by IndyJimW

Thanks for the replies from 'StingrayHawaii' and Jim Wood, and particularly the heads up about the likelihood of difficult removal. I saw a replacement manifold air tube assembly on the Summit pages along with a recommended  AIR check valve so I might try removing the parts first and order replacements if I bugger-up anything else.

None of this stuff is available in Australia.  I found a part code  'AU7T ' for a Chev C10 with a 305 for 1981 .  I'm also learned that year saw in some changes to emissions laws and the use of ECM's .  Trying to get it right...

Engine is now out of the Chassis.  Looking at removal of the front suspension and perhaps  fuel lines next trip.IMG_20210103_164845.thumb.jpg.4d84f788a1ed3e1d352e2e6c4911d801.jpg

Edited by Zedman

What is the reason for replacement?

The valve is metal inside, if it was bad hot exhaust gas would travel into the hoses and damage them.

Good luck,

Jim Wood

Hi Jim- There are some rust holes in the casing of the valve. I'm sure that these would make the valve ineffective  / inoperable.. You can see it if you zoom in within the red oval I painted in the photo.  It might well explain the red 'Check engine' light that came up when I started the engine after the  car arrived here. the Catalytic converter is also shot to death and I will need one of those too. Any leads on that one are also appreciated. I would love to just junk all this bloody Emissions rubbish, carb, ECU etc but the Registration authorities here deem that the car must have all this junk intact and operable- even if it enjoys special club permit )minimal use) registration.

Its an OBDI system, there is a way to get the codes by crossing contacts and reading the flashes from the Check Engine Light. May be hard to do with the engine out of the car.

I'll get you some OEM or AC Delco part #'s to cross.

Good luck,

Jim Wood

1981 Chevy Truck C 10 1/2 Ton Pickup 2WD
V8-305 5.0L VIN F 4-bbl

A.I.R. Check valve OEM# 22048212 / AC Delco 214-419 $40.00
Catalytic Converter OEM # 8998685 / MagnaFlow 94006 $80.00

I've removed my AIR Injection system and it doesn't set any codes, I doubt that a leaking air valve would cause a code. Early emissions systems don't have a long code list.

If you do remove the AIR check valve, ONLY TURN THE VALVE!!! The nut on the tubing that goes into the bottom of the valve is welded to the tubing. Turning it will bend and break the tubing.

Only one O2 sensor to control carburetor, nothing monitoring exhaust tailpipe gases.

Do they test tailpipe emissions in Australia ?

I would fix whatever is setting the Engine light code(s), weld in an aftermarket converter and see if it passes.

Most of the codes that I've seen in these older systems are vacuum line related. Old, cracked and missing.

Good luck,
Jim Wood

Edited by IndyJimW

• 1 month later...
On 1/11/2021 at 7:14 AM, IndyJimW said:
1981 Chevy Truck C 10 1/2 Ton Pickup 2WD
V8-305 5.0L VIN F 4-bbl

A.I.R. Check valve OEM# 22048212 / AC Delco 214-419 $40.00
Catalytic Converter OEM # 8998685 / MagnaFlow 94006 $80.00

I've removed my AIR Injection system and it doesn't set any codes, I doubt that a leaking air valve would cause a code. Early emissions systems don't have a long code list.

If you do remove the AIR check valve, ONLY TURN THE VALVE!!! The nut on the tubing that goes into the bottom of the valve is welded to the tubing. Turning it will bend and break the tubing.

Only one O2 sensor to control carburetor, nothing monitoring exhaust tailpipe gases.

Do they test tailpipe emissions in Australia ?

I would fix whatever is setting the Engine light code(s), weld in an aftermarket converter and see if it passes.

Most of the codes that I've seen in these older systems are vacuum line related. Old, cracked and missing.

Good luck,
Jim Wood

HI Jim- Sorry about the late reply but I certainly appreciate your input thus far. The temptation to remove the whole emissions setup,  Catalytic converter, Computer. Carb and maybe even the distributor is palpable but I reckon I may get pinched  when putting it up for initial inspection.  If I can find a sympathetic Roadworthy inspector (i think I may know one that will put it over as a '64 Studebaker) I might get away with it. My import authority listed it as Studebaker rather than an Avanti Motor Corps.

In the meantime I am looking at just doing it 'right'- repair and replace.  Probably simpler to just fix the obvious stuff and be done with it. I don't believe that they will do an exhaust analysis- nor do we have annual inspections --yet.

I have a listing for the Check valve as ACDELCO 19307616 or equivalent. so assume it will do- sames as for Jaguars....

Thanks very much for the leads on replacement parts- I have an importer that will assist me with cheap freight.