Everyday Avanti?

mfg

Wondered if there's anyone out there still using his/her Avanti as everyday transportation. I mean using your Avanti on sunny, rainy, snowy, windy, come what have you days..365 days a year.....Just wondering! (And this question would include ALL Avantis, '63 thru '02?)

Was my everyday driver, put over 30,000 miles on it in 4 years. Took it apart 3 years ago to paint, then decided to etc. etc. etc. Just now starting to drive it again, but still installing parts.

Bought it to drive, didn't want to tell people about the 1987 Avanti I have at home in my garage.

Was my everyday driver, put over 30,000 miles on it in 4 years. Took it apart 3 years ago to paint, then decided to etc. etc. etc. Just now starting to drive it again, but still installing parts.

Bought it to drive, didn't want to tell people about the 1987 Avanti I have at home in my garage.

Your Avanti looks FANTASTIC!, Darth Vader would love it!

The '63 Avanti I owned from 1976-1990 was not an everyday driver but close to it. For the normal reasons I wouldn't drive it if rain was in the forecast but I did enjoy driving it as often as possible.

My '70 I could drive it the same way but don't...mostly a fair weather car for cruise-ins and shows. The insurance policy won't allow it for anything else.

My '02 Avanti is without doubt the best candidate for everyday use as it's a thoroughly modern car. I don't drive it that way due to the fact if something happens to the body that's more than simple fiberglass repairs I'm out of luck. With only 53 Avantis built on the TransAm platform there's no such thing as calling up the factory for replacement body parts. Mechanical...no problem...but if it's in a significant accident I'm out of luck...just take the insurance payoff and sell it for what I can get for scrap. I also have classic insurance which limits annual mileage and use. It's not within the normal policy of the insurance company to insure a car that new but since I insure the other Avanti and a '69 Corvette with them they agreed to cover it.

I do know of at least two owners of TransAm based Avantis that use them for everyday use. One is identical to mine but probably has over 100k miles on it by now. There's no reason they can't be driven everyday...I simply don't for my own reasons.

Well, call me crazy, but I've been driving a 1983 'Blake' Avanti for the past twenty years...every day. I purchased the car from Lee Newman. (Newman-Altman) It was one of the Newman family cars. Had about 80K on it when I purchased it, and now has approx 295K. It's been very dependable summer and winter, and although it's no show car, it still manages to turn some heads when I'm driving it. The only major repair ever done to this Avanti is replacement of the original 305 engine with a new Goodwrench 305 in 2010. The original transmission (700R4) and 44 rear end have never been touched..other than fluid changes. I purchased a set of Firestone 'Winterforce' tires last year, which I'll be installing again in a couple of months. I did relocate the battery to the trunk several years ago, which aids traction on the snow and ice we encounter here in New England. Although I own other Avantis, this '83 is really my favorite, as the 'old girl' has never let me down, and has always gotten me home even in blizzard 'white out' conditions!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I could use both my 89 and 76 as daily drivers but choose not to. Both get driven a lot during the spring, summer and fall. I did a 120 trip yesterday with the 76 taking from its usual "wintering" place at my daughter's and driving it to the shop that is repainting it this winter. Over this past summer I put over 3500 miles on the 76 and around 3000 miles on the 89 convertible.

My daily commute teaching high school is 34 miles one way, in the Chicago area mainly on I-80, and there are way too many idiots on the road to subject either car to on a daily basis.

• 4 weeks later...

Got into my '83 Avanti (RQB-3655) Thursday morning with the temp at 2'F, and with a wind chill of -20'!!...She fired right up and got me to work.....as usual!!......Adding dry gas is a must,....but really,........... WHAT A GREAT, DEPENDABLE AUTOMOBILE!!!!!!!!!....GO AVANTIS!!!!!! (And GO PACK!!)

I'd never consider my '64 for a daily driver for many reasons, the obvious being it's too special to me to want to "use up" like it was some Kia or whatever disposable ride. Though it's not the Mona Lisa, I feel it's my duty to be a good custodian of the car and make sure someone else gets a turn with it after I'm gone. Also, around here they salt the heck outta the roads in Winter to the point where you might as well dunk a car in the ocean to save time. My Avanti is more like ice cream-I love it but need to keep it a treat rather than a steady diet. To be fair, another reason is reliability. I simply can't (won't) do the kind of maint. on a 50+ year old car that would be required for it to be as reliable as my new vehicles and I do like having 20~40 mpg (depending on what vehicle) and airbags ;)

Edited by GlennW

GlennW,...I wouldn't consider using a Studebaker Avanti for year round service either. Doing so, I believe, would be a bad choice on many different levels.

But on the other hand, to drive a Chevy powered nice, but not 'show worthy', Avanti ll year round has turned out to be, for 'old mfg' anyway, a VERY practical proposition!

PS......'old mfg' doesn't like car payments....but he does appreciate the now falling fuel price!!

GlennW,...I wouldn't consider using a Studebaker Avanti for year round service either. Doing so, I believe, would be a bad choice on many different levels.

But on the other hand, to drive a Chevy powered nice, but not 'show worthy', Avanti ll year round has turned out to be, for 'old mfg' anyway, a VERY practical proposition!

PS......'old mfg' doesn't like car payments....but he does appreciate the now falling fuel price!!

Very true, to each their own, and I wouldn't want to seem disparaging to the newer Avanti makes so I'm never sure how it'll be taken when I'm so possessive/protective of my Stude one. To be fair, they aren't making anything I'd choose to replace my 2007 turbo Solstice GXP, so it stays garaged in Winter also. That would leave my 2 year old E350 passenger van as my only transportation-a lousy snow vehicle IMHO but needed for business purposes so it replaced my 4x4 pickup. I prefer to pick up inexpensive older "Winter cars" in the Fall and drive them for the daily jaunts around town, breffus at the diner, etc that really tear up a vehicle and expose one to daily fender benders. I keep 'em until they need anything where the repairs would total more than just getting another cheap car. This year it's a 2001 Buick LeSabre.

Edited by GlennW

Very true, to each their own, and I wouldn't want to seem disparaging to the newer Avanti makes so I'm never sure how it'll be taken when I'm so possessive/protective of my Stude one. To be fair, they aren't making anything I'd choose to replace my 2007 turbo Solstice GXP, so it stays garaged in Winter also. That would leave my 2 year old E350 passenger van as my only transportation-a lousy snow vehicle IMHO but needed for business purposes so it replaced my 4x4 pickup. I prefer to pick up inexpensive older "Winter cars" in the Fall and drive them for the daily jaunts around town, breffus at the diner, etc that really tear up a vehicle and expose one to daily fender benders. I keep 'em until they need anything where the repairs would total more than just getting another cheap car. This year it's a 2001 Buick LeSabre.

Yep,...I dig the 'Winter Beater' scene,.....Always did that myself until I fell into this '83 Avanti 21 years ago.

I'm also impressed with my Avanti's excellent heat/defroster system. I've driven Hawks through a few winters in the past, and the Avanti (basically Lark) heater seup is much superior....I generally shut the blower fan off completely after 10-15 minutes, and just let the heat 'flow through' the system, no matter how cold it is outside the car.

I have put out the word that I am looking for a '87-'89 coupe as a daily driver. Criteria is under 60K miles, recent reliable driving and acceptable cosmetics. Ready to buy if at market price.

I have put out the word that I am looking for a '87-'89 coupe as a daily driver. Criteria is under 60K miles, recent reliable driving and acceptable cosmetics. Ready to buy if at market price.

"Market Price" ???.......What are you buying bananas??

And yes, 'We have no bananas". Here's how I determine old car market price. I look at all the sales venues almost daily. I see what sells and doesn't sell and if at eBay I know what is the actual sales price. I have sold three Avantis and a bunch of other old cars there in the last few years. One just last week.

I think I know the "market" for these cars and sometime others ask me how to price their car. One of our forum guys here quite recently.

If you don't believe my "by guess and by gosh" opinion go to the published price guides. Trouble is there are too few Avanti actual sales that the guides can't reflect the market. Hagerty is a good source. When you sell and cancel coverage they ask what it sold for. I tell them.

So, pal, how would you determine "Market Price". What should I expect to pay for the '87-'89 coupe I want?

"This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available." Do you know if it sold or not, and what price? Just curious. Regarding the rest of the conversation, $20k~$30k can be seen as "only 10K difference" or "50% more!" depending on veiwpoint, and regardless, it's always going to come down to how bad somebody wants something and what wallet depth is available. ☺

I checked the '89 on eBay and I believe it has been re-listed. This is a good test case for judging value. Starting price is $15K (too high) with no offers and a BIN price well over the "market". Inquiry suggested that while low mileage is good the cosmetics are not. A buyer will want to repaint the car and repair the interior. Seller says it is mechanically sound and has been a reliable daily driver. The car is in the SF CA area and I am in Houston which is at least a $1200 transport trip.

I considered an offer. I would wind up with an "acceptable" car in which I have a $16-17K investment which would not sell for close to that. Sorry no dice. Seller will likely sell the car for $10K-$12K 'as is'.

Edited by dapy

I checked the '89 on eBay and I believe it has been re-listed. This is a good test case for judging value. Starting price is $15K (too high) with no offers and a BIN price well over the "market". Inquiry suggested that while low mileage is good the cosmetics are not. A buyer will want to repaint the car and repair the interior. Seller says it is mechanically sound and has been a reliable daily driver. The car is in the SF CA area and I am in Houston which is at least a $1200 transport trip.

I considered an offer. I would wind up with an "acceptable" car in which I have a $16-17K investment which would not sell for close to that. Sorry no dice. Seller will likely sell the car for $10K-$12K 'as is'.

Good points, will be interesting to see what it goes for if it does sell. Sounds like a decent car from the description and assuming it's a CA car that didn't play in salt or saltwater. Paint description seems about right for a 25+ year old car and for a daily driver it's probably fine as is to most folks (or they'd paint it to their liking anyway if they found a sound car.) No dog in this and I've never followed the later years, but always willing to learn things Avanti.

The re-listed car started at $13,500. I made an offer that was not accepted. The paint was not just bad it was unacceptable. I discussed this with the seller. Like most eBay listings "accept. but verify". Rip in front seat. Cracks in the fiberglass. Cracks in the dash. Car withdrawn or sold. If sold price would have been for about what I suggested. Honestly I didn't want a black car.

I just purchased a 1989 coupe with 40K miles excellent condiition for less than $20,000. It runs ansd smells like a new car out of the show room.

As far as daily driver, I have used my 2002 convertible since new everyday in my real estate business. It just turned 162,000 and is still going strong. Heat, snow, ice, rain, it keeps going...

I believe I know that '89 Avanti Ron!....And good for you...it's a beautiful 'like new' Avanti that I procrastinated about buying for a bit too long I see!!....Say hello to Paul for me, and good luck with the car!....mfg..(Ed)

The re-listed car started at $13,500. I made an offer that was not accepted. The paint was not just bad it was unacceptable. I discussed this with the seller. Like most eBay listings "accept. but verify". Rip in front seat. Cracks in the fiberglass. Cracks in the dash. Car withdrawn or sold. If sold price would have been for about what I suggested. Honestly I didn't want a black car.

Black is the new primer ;) Yeah, from your description there was no reason to overpay for that car unless it was "the one you always wanted" for some reason. Looking back at this thread was a good reminder to me on how many cars fall under the Avanti banner. Kind of like asking "how many would consider a Honda Civic as a daily driver?" it depends so much on what year/condition the car in question was. I could easily see a daily that had airbags, adjustable steering wheel, cruise control and a GM motor that could be repaired anywhere or simply replaced at the drop of a hat by a corner garage.