Silver Anniversary value????

3redcars

Hello Avanti people

I have looked at a Silver Anniversary '88 a couple of times and wonder what the thing may be worth. It is for sale. It's white, black interior, body looks near perfect, interior fair.

I understand it has the 305 with supercharger - haven't been able to look under the hood yet. It needs a quarter window. Vette wheels are there.

Apparently it's very low miles; never officially titled. The owner borrowed dealer plates to drive it around from time to time. That's the story anyway.

I want to go look at this thing again, but want to be able to start feeling the owner out on price. It could go *cheap*. It belonged to owner's dad. Owner is a Stude guy - has a nice original Avanti in the garage.

Assume the motor is running and complete and no other major problems.What's a steal price? Reasonable as an investment price? Going rate?

I know there are probably no really accurate numbers available on this. I know little about Avantis, but quite a bit about cars in general.

TIA

jeff

3redcars@jeffsmall.org

I don't have a dollar value for you as Avanti's seems to be all over the map when it comes to that, but all Avanti's are desireable, though I am a bit less than objective here. The silver Anniversary models can bring a bit of a premium as they were very limited in production...and that is from an automobile that is already a very limited production car. I remember the factory wanted to build fifty of them and I believe the final number was something like twenty-seven plus two prototypes.

My understanding is that the Silver Anniversary cars were a bit problematic mechanically due to the supercharger installation not well matched to the computerized nature of the engine. The electronics of the era simply weren't sophisticated enough to deal with the forced induction. You could always take the drive belt off the blower and drive it that way.

Check Ebay Motors and Hemmings for some idea of asking prices. That should be of help. Hope you have a winner there.

My understanding is that the Silver Anniversary cars were a bit problematic mechanically due to the supercharger installation not well matched to the computerized nature of the engine.  The electronics of the era simply weren't sophisticated enough to deal with the forced induction.  You could always take the drive belt off the blower and drive it that way.

Wow, no offense, but that blows my mind. Perhaps it was the electronics that the

Avanti Motor Company used in the car, but two years prior to that car being made,

GM was ripping up the road with the Buick Regal Grand National. Granted it was

a turbo car, but still forced induction and computer controled. I would say that an

'88 would be a good year to get. GM had some problems with the 700 R4 trans &

had solved them by mid 87. Earlier Avantis would be damned with the same bad

shifting and early failure that the pre-87 1/2 700's GM cars had. As for the engine

issues, I had never heard of that. Was it belt related, or just computer? I know

of a guy that does "miracles" for the Impala club :

http://www.pcmforless.com/

The guys sware by him. His buddy does performance chips to order. I was going

to have him make one for our 1986 Camaro IROC.

In a quick search I found these:

http://www.collectorcarads.com/addetail.asp?CarID=3606

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?t...&paId=183813470

Tom

I was relaying what I had read about the supercharged Silver Anniversary cars...I have no personal experience with them. I know what you mean about the Buick Grand Nationals...but GM spent lots of engineering time and money to integrate the car's management system with a factory turbo installation. I'm guessing the Avanti factory more or less simply bolted on a supercharger to the stock GM engine without regard to the compatibility of the on-board electronics with forced induction not included in its design parameters. Just a supposition on my part. Since Avanti Motors was having financial issues at the time it seems logical they wouldn't have spent a lot of effort (read that money) on such issues, or it may not have even been thought about.

Considering the rarity of the Silver Anniversary cars and how far automotive technology has advanced, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of these cars if it was priced fairly. Any issues related to the blower installation could be rectified, I'm sure.

Considering the rarity of the Silver Anniversary cars and how far automotive technology has advanced, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of these cars if it was priced fairly.  Any issues related to the blower installation could be rectified, I'm sure.

Do you know if they used a Paxton blower? If so, then Paxton might be the place

to start as far as finding a solution. If they dont want to touch it, I bet that the

http://www.pcmforless.com/ place could fix you up.

Tom

Do you know if they used a Paxton blower?  If so, then Paxton might be the place

to start as far as finding a solution.  If they dont want to touch it, I bet that the

http://www.pcmforless.com/ place could fix you up.

Tom

They did install a Paxton blower. It made a nice connection with the original Stude Avanti's.

send me an email and I can put you in contact with someone who has a silver anniversary with the factory supercharger AND nitrous.

They did install a Paxton blower.  It made a nice connection with the original Stude Avanti's.