Avanti Sedan

mfg

The Studebaker prototype of a two door/four door Avanti 'sedan', hand made in France and now residing in the SNM, was shipped to the U.S. aboard the S.S. United States.....True?

• 2 weeks later...

Don't call that an Avanti sedan. It was intended to be an inexpensive car most likely to replace the Lark.

It no doubt was considered a future replacement for the Lark....but its design was STRONGLY infuenced by the Studebaker Avanti....Definitely an 'Avanti Sedan'!

Back in 1986 I was in South Bend on business and visited Avanti Motors and the Studebaker National Museum which was housed in the old Freeman-Spicer Studebaker dealership building. They are definitely Avanti influenced but were hoped to serve a completely different market segment. While I love the Avanti design its influence on these cars is less attractive to my eye. Brooks Stevens' Sceptre concept is a much more attractive vehicle...again...to me. Notice these are 3-door cars so each could be shown as a 2-door coupe and a 4-door sedan just by walking to the other side...

img073.jpg

img072.jpg

img070.jpg

img069.jpg

img071.jpg

I will agree that they had Avanti influenced styling but to call them Avanti sedans is not fair to an Avanti in my opinion. These cars were very very very cheap looking on the inside and the styling wasn't very clean. Just my opinion but I hate to see them called Avanti sedans!