Parking light/turning indicator troubleshooting

TMA62

Yesterday, I drove my '71 Avanti II with the parking lights on and everything was routine. Today, I did the same but noticed my left turn indicator light (on the dash) was on solid. Attempts to flip the indicator lever did not change the indication. The left turn light was solid "on" and the right was solid "off". When I got home, I checked the outside indications. When parking lights were on, all exteriors were on except the left front. When I flipped the left turn lever, the left front was still off and the left rear was still on parking lights but not flashing. The right hand side performed routinely.

So is this just a burned out LF parking light bulb or is there something else like a relay or fuse that has given up the ghost? Have any of you run into this situation before?

Thanks in advance for any information and guidance you can gift me.

Ted Andrews

You have a burned out filament in the left front. It's a number 1157 bulb which has two filaments so one must have burned out. Your system is operating normally for when one burns out.

I visually inspected the bulb and the filaments look good. I tried to remove it but there was too much corrosion at the base of the socket. Could it be (1) blown bulb filament or (2) corrode base causing it to ground out?

I had to replace the socket, (actually the entire assembly due a broken tab on the bottom that was supposed to anchor it in the fender), The old socket was corroded and gave the same exact symptoms as you are listing.

Try squirting some WD-40 around the light bulb base into the socket...let it soak in and try to remove the bulb. If you can remove the bulb successfully, you might be able to clean the socket with electric cleaning spray. If an auto supply store doesn't carry it, Radio Shack should. If none of that works, you will need to replace the socket and pigtail. I'm not sure if you can use a generic socket and pigtail as they would be self-grounding and an Avanti would require a separate ground wire. Maybe you might be able to solder or otherwise attach a ground wire to the base. If that can't be done, one of the normal vendors should able to provide one.

Regardless of what you end up needing to do, put some dielectric grease on the new bulb's base to keep future corrosion down.