64 R2 photographed in NY parking garage

MARK

My 1964 R2 Avanti #5470 was seen and photographed in NY within the parking garage I have used for over 28 years. When its not too hot or rain in the forecast I'll drive in for the day when at work. This was noted and told to my by a friend; Neal, who has a 64 4 speed Avanti. How exciting as a few weeks ago I drove the 245miles; each way, from N.J. to the Hagerstown Regional Airport to share a photo opportunity that was successfully organized by the famous & prolific "Gunslinger"

Mark

http://manonthemove.com/2012/03/26/garage-queens-studebaker-avanti-r2-%E2%80%93-east-44th-street-nyc/

Great write up and photography! Publicity for Avantis is always welcome...maybe it will raise the marque's public profile some. As far as the kudos for me...it's appreciated but overblown. Still...I'll take the bows! :P

thanks Gunslinger, I'm still grinning from that unexpected photo show of my car. I agree, maybe this will help raise the appreciation of those who think Studebaker was their grandmothers car only.

I can only imagine, why don't you ask Gunslinger what arrived in his mail last week.

Mark

There is an interesting history prior to my purchase through EBAY. I purchased the car from the son of the owner who was a Studebaker dealer. The original owner cut the hood and placed a boxy reverse hood scoop and between the headlights cut another rectangular hole and installed an older Porsche grill with the idea of cooling off the engine bay. To say the least.............awful. A very short version of a longer story

Once I bought the car I did suspension,brakes,carburetor, transmission,all seals, windshield,etc,etc. Then once the car was safe to drive fast and often I had body and paint and chrome work. Shortly after that 2 year restoration an uninsured woman driving with her knee as she talked on her phone and put on makeup slammed into me at 30mph while I was at a traffic light.NO INSURANCE from her. 14 months later another idiot teximgt ran into me at 25. another 12 month restoration. then last year hurricane Sandy, and, another frame off restoration. So imagine the inventory from Dave Thibeault, Studebaker International, Jon Myer and Nostalgic Motors. If not mistaken all 4 took a vacation together on the restoration of this car, a prior Avanti and recently a 1963 Gran Turismo Hawk. That is a very shortened version..................don't even ever ask how much is invested. Between the insurance company and my funds, no one will ever know the truth; its a lot.

Mark

yes thanks, I do have a tenacity for this car. With the 63 GT Hawk I bought last year, the owner Jess Jordan passed away last Thursday. The wake was Sunday and I had the time and want to drive the car to the service. I met many of the family members & was introduced as the owner of Jess's car. About a dozen family members went outside to see the car and was speechless as the car shined in afternoon sun. The granddaughter just cried with emotion as she had so many memories. I noted many family members gently touching the car with such reverence I too was moved. As the funeral was Monday and I was not available, I offered the car to a club member who was best friends with Jess. He and his wife drove the GT Hawk from the Church; behind the lead limo to the graveside. Many available club members followed with an assortment of classic cars. The hearse was the final car. I received a few very emotional calls of thanks for availing the car. How could I not.