seeking hogtrough source recommendations

timepilot

I've finally bitten the bullet and started the body-off restoration of RQB-3434. She's been gutted and we lifted the body from chassis this afternoon.

My troughs are completely shot, there's no nope in welding them up or attempting any kind of repair. I'm interested in the experiences you guys have had with replacing your trought. WHere did you get them? what did you pay? Aluminum vs stainless (I'm almost 100% decided on steel). How was the customer service experience? etc... Thanks in advance, I'll keep the board posted on progress. I'm throwing out the Lark chassis in favor of a custom tube frame with Corvette C6 IFS and C5 IRS components. Unfortunately I couldn't design out the troughs but if this works, I will have a viable option for those us cursed with frame rot.

I have the complete chassis, steering, and suspension with a set of Borani wires if anyone needs any or all of it. I may try to trade it to Studebaker Int'l for store credit since I'm sure I'll be spending quite a bit there in the coming months ;-) I'm in Indy if anyone needs parts.

Jack Estes

RQB-3434

RQB-2803

I'm interested in the experiences you guys have had with replacing your trought. WHere did you get them? what did you pay? Aluminum vs stainless (I'm almost 100% decided on steel). How was the customer service experience? etc... Thanks in advance, I'll keep the board posted on progress.

Can't help you directly, but here is a website with a little info:

http://www.avantisource.com/hogtroughs.htm

Apparently he's been through it, and invites email questions, which you can initiate on his home page:

http://www.avantisource.com

Can't help you directly, but here is a website with a little info:

Hey Wayne C ... I know a "Wayne C" in California, who's interests include ...

Avanti's, Corvettes, Jaguars ..... I wonder if you might be he?

Tom

Did you check out the rims that

I bought for my Avanti?

No, I saw something about rims & tires for $800 but the link you provided did not take me directly to a set of rims, I think it went to a Chevy Caprice webpage, so I assume it was a set of Caprice rims.... 66-83 Avanti's use the Ford/Chrysler pattern; what ARE you driving these days? My fleet hasn't changed in years now.

No, I saw something about rims & tires for $800 but the link you provided did not take me directly to a set of rims, I think it went to a Chevy Caprice webpage, so I assume it was a set of Caprice rims.... 66-83 Avanti's use the Ford/Chrysler pattern; what ARE you driving these days? My fleet hasn't changed in years now.

This is what they refer too as a "thread hijacking" - sorry "timepilot" .....

It seems you have two separate threads confused ... here is the rim one with pics:

http://www.aoai.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=293

They are a "Ford" bolt pattern from an 03 Mustang Cobra. 4.5 inch bolt pattern.

The Hawk I gave away. I have the 93 Camaro Z28 and the Avanti and my 1995

Impala SS Clone. My wife has her 1995 Camaro Z28, 1986 Camaro IROC (for sale)

and a 1978 Camaro (getting a 94 LT1 engine and 4L60E trans). The Camaro and

the Impala Clone both have over 200k on them. The heads have never even been

off the Camaros LT1. I can not make the same claim for the Impala, since I dont

have a whole history.

Tom

I've finally bitten the bullet and started the body-off restoration of RQB-3434. She's been gutted and we lifted the body from chassis this afternoon.

My troughs are completely shot, there's no nope in welding them up or attempting any kind of repair. I'm interested in the experiences you guys have had with replacing your trought. WHere did you get them? what did you pay? Aluminum vs stainless (I'm almost 100% decided on steel). How was the customer service experience? etc... Thanks in advance, I'll keep the board posted on progress. I'm throwing out the Lark chassis in favor of a custom tube frame with Corvette C6 IFS and C5 IRS components. Unfortunately I couldn't design out the troughs but if this works, I will have a viable option for those us cursed with frame rot.

I have the complete chassis, steering, and suspension with a set of Borani wires if anyone needs any or all of it. I may try to trade it to Studebaker Int'l for store credit since I'm sure I'll be spending quite a bit there in the coming months ;-) I'm in Indy if anyone needs parts.

Jack Estes

RQB-3434

RQB-2803

Hello, Jack,

I had the hog troughs on my '70 replaced one year ago by a local body shop as a "body-on-frame" restoration. I furnished the shop with the kits that I purchased from Classic Enterprises. They are designed as four piece kits per side for "body-on-frame" installations requiring no cutting of the fiberglass body itself. I and the body shop who installed them for me were completely satisfied with their quality, fit, ease of installation, and the detailed instructions that came with the kits. Classic Enterprises furnished everything that was required for the installation. A detailed article of how to install them appeared in AOAI's magazine issue # 91, Spring, 1995. Classic Enterprises' website is: www.classicent.com . They offer standard steel box kits for $1,075 and stainless steel kits for $1,375 plus $30 for shipping.

Because you're doing a "body-off-frame" restoration of your hog troughs, you might want to consider one piece types as mentioned in an article in the AOAI magazine issue # 101, Fall, 1997. The author bought his troughs from Dan Booth of Nostalgic Motor Cars. Nostalgic Motor Cars still run ads in recent AOAI magazines, but I haven't seen them mention their hog troughs; maybe they still make them. They don't have a website, but their phone number is: (800) AVANTI-1 (800) 282-6841.

I hope this is of some help and best regards,

Paul

The author bought his troughs from Dan Booth of Nostalgic Motor Cars.  Nostalgic Motor Cars still run ads in recent AOAI magazines, but I haven't seen them mention their hog troughs; maybe they still make them.  They don't have a website, but their phone number is:  (800) AVANTI-1 (800) 282-6841.

Paul

Actually Paul. they DO have a website, although I doubt it reflects all the parts they have available:

http://www.avantiparts.net/

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there....new to this forum. Reading this thread, I think my '80 Coupe was the car featured in the Owners Association Magazine in '97 on replacement of the hog troughs....Bud Weisser replaced them by cutting the bottom of the body away cleanly, replacing them and then refiberglassing in the body segment. I have had the car since 2003 and no problems whatsover.