puzzling AM Radio Question

tsterkel

Doing a little research.

Question: Is the '63 Avanti fender mounted Antenna Factory install or accessory.

Background: The typical fender antenna is worthless for AM. The AM antenna is an embedded Ferrite core (or a mounted coil on older radios).

As the '63 was AM-only, unless you went with an upgrade, then the fender mounted antenna has no functional purpose.

Anyone KNOW?

thanks!

What you are suggesting would mean that Studebaker just didnt care that AM radio

could not be heard in the Avanti? That makes no sense. I have read that the hood

material is the reason that the antenna is on the rear fender. Supposedly the use

of a non metal material causes interferance with reception.

From what I remember the AM works fine in my 63 Avanti, I dont listen to the

radio much in that car though, it "gets out" maybe twice a year, at present.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...
Doing a little research. 

Question:  Is the '63 Avanti fender mounted Antenna Factory install or accessory. 

Background: The typical fender antenna is worthless for AM.  The AM antenna is an embedded Ferrite core (or a mounted coil on older radios).

As the '63 was AM-only, unless you went with an upgrade, then the fender mounted antenna has no functional purpose.

Anyone KNOW?

thanks!

Mine came with the antenna on the back fender. I had no problem with AM radio performance as long as all of the ignition shielding was in place. I got tired of the shielding being in the way and tried shielded wires with little success. I later replaced the antenna with a later model and an AM-FM/Tape Player.

The factory location for the antenna is the top of the left rear quarter panel. The antenna also needs to be grounded to be able to perform properly. It's not like a steel bodied car where the antenna grounds simply from being tightened down to the bodyand receives a big ground plane from all the sheet metal.

Make sure any antenna you install on an Avanti gets grounded securely.

• 2 weeks later...
The factory location for the antenna is the top of the left rear quarter panel.  The antenna also needs to be grounded to be able to perform properly.  It's not like a steel bodied car where the antenna grounds simply from being tightened down to the bodyand receives a big ground plane from all the sheet metal. 

Make sure any antenna you install on an Avanti gets grounded securely.

Furthur on the antenna ground: the original Avanti antenna had a grounding strap attached to its body which led down and then under the trunk carpet to a depressed "well" about three inches in diameter to the left of the spare tire wheel well where a bolt was located which was used (I suspect) to hold the body to the frame of the car. The bonding strap was held underneath this bolt head.

By the way, my new Kenwood AM/FM radio works fine for FM reception without the external antenna but doesn't pick up the AM stations without it.

If you need a replacement for your original Avanti antenna, part #AC-3330, which had listed for $139.95 from some suppliers and is no longer available, I have found a replacement source for an antenna which almost is a duplicate of the original at less than one-third of the cost. I also have found a source for replacement antenna cables and connectors should you need them. If so, let me know.

Best regards,

Paul Eikenbary