87 Convertible Spare and Jack questions

Daniel Meyers

Help! (Please) 

After a several year restoration (with a special thanks to Dan Booth! ), took out the 87 convert for its first real spin ... had a blowout (dumba - -  me was putting off new purchase of tires until spring .... just one quick drive wouldn’t matter ... yea right)  on the freeway and of course the mini donut spare that came with the car didn’t fit.  Spare tire well is very small and am having an impossible time trying to figure out correct size mini spare that will fit bolt pattern and set in convert tire well properly.  Not sure what size GM mini spare would fit and what year/make GM vehicle might have come from ... also ... would like information on original type jack set ... in advance thanks so much for any help and most appreciative to Lew for helping me get set up with the forum ... regards to all ... Daniel

Welcome to the AOAI Forum!  I bought a 1987 Avanti new.  Is it safe to assume that you know that the chassis of your Avanti is from a 1987 Chevrolet Monte Carlo?  I would start there for your spare wheel search.  

3 hours ago, Daniel Meyers said:

Help! (Please) 

After a several year restoration (with a special thanks to Dan Booth! ), took out the 87 convert for its first real spin ... had a blowout (dumba - -  me was putting off new purchase of tires until spring .... just one quick drive wouldn’t matter ... yea right)  on the freeway and of course the mini donut spare that came with the car didn’t fit.  Spare tire well is very small and am having an impossible time trying to figure out correct size mini spare that will fit bolt pattern and set in convert tire well properly.  Not sure what size GM mini spare would fit and what year/make GM vehicle might have come from ... also ... would like information on original type jack set ... in advance thanks so much for any help and most appreciative to Lew for helping me get set up with the forum ... regards to all ... Daniel

Here's how I worked it out for my 74. You'll just need to allow for the 4.75" X 5 (120.65 mm)bolt pattern.Scroll down a few posts in the example  and you'll find the tire size/diameter chart I used.

You can then either find a rim  narrow enough to fit and add an appropriate tire from the chart or Google the bolt pattern (inches and mm) and find what cars out there have an appropriate spare. Ebay and Google will be your friend here also.

Edited by Avanti83

I have a 1987 Avanti. Here are pictures of my jack and tire tool. The jack mounts on the passenger side of the trunk. The tire tool fits in the too bag on the front of the trunk.

Good luck,

Jim Wood

IMG_0602.JPG

IMG_0606.JPG

IMG_0607.JPG

IMG_0608.JPG

2 hours ago, IndyJimW said:

I have a 1987 Avanti. Here are pictures of my jack and tire tool. The jack mounts on the passenger side of the trunk. The tire tool fits in the too bag on the front of the trunk.

Good luck,

Jim Wood

Jim, A quick question, where does that jack fit under the car and is there enough lift? It looks like the top (head) of it is raised to fit a depression under the car. I don't remember seeing a jack quite like that before.

Bob

2 hours ago, Avanti83 said:

Not Jim, but I believe that the jack goes under the side of the car and contacts the frame just fore of the rear wheel and just aft of the front wheel.  

Thanks so much IndyJim !  It does look like a GM jack setup ... excellent ... I think I could pull this off now ... so much help and so quickly .... ya’lls THE BEST !

The dimple on the swivel plate fits in holes in the frame, in front of the rear wheels and behind the front wheels. Very stable and can lift the wheel over 6 inches in the air. One of the best OEM jacks I have seen. Should be the 1987 Monte Carlo jack.