Update on "Operation Avanti Airlift" Tribute - June 7...

Gunslinger

I met today with Jack Seburn of the Hagerstown Aviation Museum regarding our planned get together on June 28. Everything is going well and the cooperation of the Museum is fantastic.

The official time for the event is 2:00 PM on Saturday afternoon on June 28. The plan is for everyone attending to meet in front of the main passenger terminal on Showalter Road. I'll be waiting there and will lead everyone to the location of the C-82 which is maybe a half-mile away but a somewhat roundabout route to that area of the airport.

Jack showed me where the plane will be located with other aircraft out of the way or hangered. He said they'll place the C-82 any way we like it for best photography and best lighting and lack of sharp shadows. They will also have available for us a rolling stairway for elevated photography. They use these elevated platforms for working on the radial engines high off the ground. Ramps will also be available for placing cars like they're being on- or off-loaded like in the original 1962 airlift.

Jack also said they have contacts within local television and print media and will be requesting media coverage. Bob Palma of the SDC has been in touch with Hemming's Classic Cars and they may...repeat...may...print a story about if we send them some quality photographs and photos of the original 1962 airlift. While not a promise...it is promising we may get some publicity for the Avanti in that way. I will also be contacting local area media for coverage of the event. I know we can't make them cover the event but there's no chance if we don't ask.

The plan is at 4:30 we will have a group dinner at Nick's Airport Inn, which comes highly recommended. We already have a private room reserved. Once I have a better count of attendees close to June 28, I'll let them know how many to expect.

I intend to make a donation to the Museum for all their assistance in making this event happen. While not mandatory, I would suggest participants make some donation to the Museum as well, but that's a personal decision on everyone's part. We can even earmark any donations for the refurbishing and preservation of the actual C-82 used in the original 1962 Avanti Airlift (which the Museum owns) and is stored in Greybull, WY awaiting future refurbishing.

I'm hoping as many members as possible can make the time to attend this event. Since the Dover International Meet begins the next day, a lot of people should be on the road and can drop by...even if they don't have their Avanti with them.

As I see it right now, the only thing that can hurt us is the weather, which is always a possibility. This time of year around here thunderstorms are not uncommon. It's a lousy, wet and rainy day that can really cause some chaos in such an event. Regardless...we'll deal with whatever happens.

I'm maintaing a list of those who plan on attending. I'm hoping even more contact me as time gets closer. I'll keep posting updates as more information comes in. There are a few who don't have email or computers I'm in touch with by phone as well and will keep them updated.

Gunslinger, short of awful weather, I will join you with my 1964 R2 Avanti. Leaving the NJ shore area, I plan on an early arrival. I also look forward to meeting you as we have emailed on and off over the last 7+ years.

Mark C Halsband

• 2 weeks later...

I am making plans to stop there on my way to the International Meet with my 1967 Avanti II. Hope this doesn't preclude me from participating?! My 1963 is still not all back together, yet...

Peter Crisitello

RQA-0206

63R-1877

post-4793-0-61503900-1403317097_thumb.jpg

It doesn't matter whether you believe your car is complete or not. The more the better. It doesn't even matter if you don't have your Avanti with you...a show of support is more than welcome.

This past Sunday at a big car show I met a couple who have an Avanti but are not members of any car club. They may attend the event next Saturday as well. If they do, maybe they can be recruited to join the AOAI.

I'll have a final update next week.

My '64 R1 is staying home in California but I hope to fly space-available to join you at this event. Please also add me to the restaurant count if this is not too late. My plan is to stay with friends in Frederick in case you need any last minute help with logistics.

Bill Ruttan

I'll add you to the list. It should be good time for all. The latest weather forecast for the 28th is partly cloudy and temps in the low 80's...can't ask for better than that. I hope it holds.

Don't remember if I told you before, my wife and I both will be there for dinner at Nick's after the museum photo op.