How To Access Avanti II Spark Plugs

bobconant

Dear Folks,

I'm sure I seen this written up someplace but I have searched all over and can't come up with a source. The question is how do I get at the spark plugs on an Avanti II with the 350 GM engine to clean, check and change them ? A couple are fairly easy but most are very difficult to access. I do know that I need to work from the wheel wells as it is virtually impossible to get at them from the top. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob Conant

Bradenton, FL

They are easy enough on the right side of the motor, but the left side is a major PITA. I changed mine with a combination of swivel sockets, open end wrenches and bloody knuckles. If you drill a hole in the inner fender at the appropriate place, it makes getting an extension right through to the offending plugs much easier. I will go that route next time!

warren55 is 'spot on' with that drilled hole idea. I did just that a few years ago on my '83, and it makes reaching plug #5 (3rd back on the left) MUCH easier!

To get #7 (closest to firewall on driver side) I jack up the left front and with my upper body positioned below-left of the belhousing, I use a spark plug socket with a hex end (at the rachet end), placing the socket on the plug by hand and using a box wrench to turn the socket (ratchet box wrench would probably work even better than a regular box wrench, can't remember if I tried one). Remove the socket as soon as the plug loosens and turn it out by hand.

IIRC, I get #5 and the others from the wheel well by using a long extension on the ratchet.

Edited by WayneC

Thank you folks for your suggestions. May I ask those who cut a hole in the inner fender: how big a hole did you make and how did you fill the hole afterwards. Thank you again, you folks are great !!

Regards,

Bob Conant

Bradenton, FL

I've never had to deal with it but I would think you cut a hole large enough to get clear sight of the spark plug and get a spark plug socket and extension in with clearance to turn the ratchet. Taking the left front tire off gives added working room.

I wouldn't fill the hole back it but you can cut a sheet of rubber matting to cover it and use either screws to make it easily removable in the future or simply rivet it in four spots.

If you have access to a lift, the easiest way is to put the car in the air and work from underneath on the troublesome spark plugs.

At least an Avanti isn't a mid-1970's Chevy Monza with a V-8...you have to unbolt the engine from its mounts and jack it up for spark plug access.

Bruce is correct about the hoist making the job less difficult but the best way is still through the inner fender.

My 74.

100_1397_zps81b5ac7f.jpg

The hole only needs to be large enough to get a plug socket through it. Be sure to use one with the rubber insert to hold the plug. Removing the wheel is ok but just putting the wheels to far right turn gives sufficient room. It's still not easy to get the plug wire off but the plug is the real pain.

Personally, I'd go to the FLAPS or big box and find a rubber grommet that is large enough and drill the hole that size. It all depends on "Can you live with the extra hole in the body".

Bob

Again, Thanks to everyone who responded. I'll be performing this operation this week.

Cheers,

Bob Conant