Weight of the Avanti Body

wapanzica

I had mine off the chassis, supported by four corners at the ends of the hog troughs.  The seats were out and door panels off, but the glass and rest of the interior were still in.  It was about 4 feet off the floor, sitting on two 6X6 timbers with a piece of carpet on each.  I know I bumped into it occasionally while working on the chassis and it would move an inch or so. You could even lift the nose with some effort.  I'd estimate it around 700#  

3 hours ago, IndyJimW said:

My 1987 Avanti Coupe is on a Chev. Monte Carlo chassis. I don't know the weight of the body, but the car weights 100lbs MORE than the dry weight of a 1987 Monte Carlo.

That's quite interesting!...I would have guessed it would be the other way round!

21 hours ago, IndyJimW said:

My 1987 Avanti Coupe is on a Chev. Monte Carlo chassis. I don't know the weight of the body, but the car weights 100lbs MORE than the dry weight of a 1987 Monte Carlo.

I believe that all or more than all of that difference lies in what is standard equipment on the two cars, for example the weight of the sun roof assembly.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, IndyJimW said:

No sun roof.

I guess that was a bad example.  I owned a 1987 Avanti coupe new, but do not remember its weight.  I do believe that more was standard on the Avanti than on a Monte Carlo.  The only weights that I could locate right off were 3330# for a '87 Avanti convertible and 3300# for a '87 Monte Carlo SS.