Studebaker Avanti Exterior Colors

mfg

Among Studebaker Avanti owners, is there a 'favorite' color out of the original eight '63-'64 exterior colors? I'm all for staying with whatever was applied at the factory at this point in time, but if someone WAS going to do a color change on a Studebaker Avanti, is there one original factory color that brings out the lines of this beautiful car for best effect? Opinions?

IMHO it would be the 1964 Avanti Maroon #P-6436. It was added near the end of production. Only 80 cars had this factory color.

Turquoise was a very popular color and has stood the test of time. Sometimes colors lose popularity over time but turquoise has remained popular on original Avantis.

Avanti Grey is pretty rare, and not often seen. When done in a modern base/clear formulation it really pops.

post-3233-0-66621500-1399849985_thumb.jpg

Edited by brad

• 3 weeks later...

I'm partial to the black that my '64 was dressed in.

That's really rare.....between the '63 and the '64 model Avantis, I'll bet only a handfull came out of the factory painted black. There were probably more Avanti ll's painted black!

According to the Studebaker National Museum Archives 115 '63's and 32 '64 were black. The most popular '63 was Gold (1220) and Red (224) for the '64.

My black R1 '64 was likely an unsold '63 as it had round headlights, grille, drip rails, but no other transitional equipment.