Need Helpful Tips for a Windshield Install

Luma

Any helpful tips for a new windshield install will be greatly appreciated. I have it about 98 % in except for about 1/2 inch at the roof stainless trim. Can't seem to push it down. I have even sat on the windshield  (240 LBS+) and no luck. Any slippery solutions to ease the gasket in? The gasket is seated all around and is fully in at the interior side. Thanks, Dan

Get or make a couple flat, tapered pointy tools from a hardwood. Carve down  some wooden  spoons, etc.  You can work the gasket over the flange using these types of tools and it won't hurt the gasket.  I put both the front and rear glass in, using this type of assist.

51 minutes ago, silverstude said:

Get or make a couple flat, tapered pointy tools from a hardwood. Carve down  some wooden  spoons, etc.  You can work the gasket over the flange using these types of tools and it won't hurt the gasket.  I put both the front and rear glass in, using this type of assist.

Very good suggestion. You might also try a set of these trim removal tools that are available at most auto related stores.

https://www.amazon.com/Tresalto-Auto-Trim-Removal-Tool/dp/B01L8GHB7O

18 hours ago, Luma said:

Any helpful tips for a new windshield install will be greatly appreciated. I have it about 98 % in except for about 1/2 inch at the roof stainless trim. Can't seem to push it down. I have even sat on the windshield  (240 LBS+) and no luck. Any slippery solutions to ease the gasket in? The gasket is seated all around and is fully in at the interior side. Thanks, Dan

Hopefully you've solved the problem by now, but if you haven't I believe I'd push the windshield back out and look things over....It sounds to me like a portion of the reveal moulding isn't seated in the weatherstrip.....or possibly there is some other obstruction.

You say that the inside lip of the weatherstrip is completely over the pinchweld.....at that point the windshield normally 'seats' itself in with a light push from outside.

You're probably using a brand new weatherstrip...and sometimes that can fight you too!....Good luck!......Ed:)

PS.....Always rope this type of windshield into place.....the nylon 'bones' glass installers use can help, but it's really all about the inside man pulling on the rope, with an assistant (or two) evenly pushing in on the glass from outside the car.

Edited by mfg

If the interior "A" pillar vinyl is too thick at the seam, it will prevent the gasket, and thus the windshield from seating in the upper corner. Also, make absolutely sure that it is glued down firmly, and the process of roping in the rubber doesn't bunch it up.

After about 20 hours of pushing and tugging I'm at this point. Left side small amount of weather seal that will not budge (1st Pic) Right side same right where the trim ends. Just a little perspective in the second picture all the black is stuffed into the roof area now and what is visible on both sides is about 2 inches of the material closest to the trim. 3rd pix. I have been pushing on the windshield and got the center part of the roof trim down to about 1/4 inch. The interior pictures are of the right corner and left corner. Gasket is totally inside the interior. And finally, the NEW windshield has some information on it, which I will display here.(Last Pic).

Brad! I may have a good deal for you on 4 Avanti's !

Thanks for any,

Dan

IMG_1523.JPG

IMG_1526.JPG

IMG_1542.JPG

IMG_1533.JPG

IMG_1534.JPG

IMG_1535.JPG

IMG_1536.JPG

IMG_1544[1].JPG

You have the rubber twisted, and the top stainless is not in the correct channel. You install the glass and the stainless as a unit. That is the rubber, and glass, and stainless are assembled on the bench before you install it in the car. Also, in the pictures, the rubber is not over the lip inside the car. 

21 hours ago, brad said:

You have the rubber twisted, and the top stainless is not in the correct channel. You install the glass and the stainless as a unit. That is the rubber, and glass, and stainless are assembled on the bench before you install it in the car. Also, in the pictures, the rubber is not over the lip inside the car. 

Agree here. Be sure you mark the center of the window and window opening to be sure you start centered to start with. I also used clear packing tape to be sure the gasket and window stayed in the proper position. This really helped to keep the hump in position during the install as you can see it in this Pix. Don't loop the tape under the gasket but just to the front surface after you clean it with Alcohol. 

Thanks to Dan Booth for the tip as it just dropped right in like it was made to fit.

74 windshield.jpg

Edited by Avanti83

Good Tip, I will try it out.

In your picture is the stainless already in place and then taped to the rubber and glass? Also do you have the rope in the picture all around the window and then crossed at the bottom?

Thanks, Dan

13 hours ago, Luma said:

Good Tip, I will try it out.

In your picture is the stainless already in place and then taped to the rubber and glass? Also do you have the rope in the picture all around the window and then crossed at the bottom?

Thanks, Dan

Looks like this right after installation. Yes on stainless and yes on rope. I believe I used 3/16" rope. Went in quickly with two helpers.

74 install.jpg

Great Picture Avanti83. But naturally I have another question. The clear tape on the top and bottom trim, does it go all the way to the interior side? The picture blows up real good but I can't tell if the tape stops just shy of the trim on the top and bottom stainless. I used string to hold everything together before I got your tape tip.

Thanks again, great tip. 

Dan

Used the tape to hold everything in IIRC. Nothing goes across the gap from exterior to interior but I think I recall bending the tape under the lip slightly to get more purchase. It will pull out after installation if it is only under a short distance.