r2 carter carb

chip

• 2 weeks later...
Ineed to know the cfm and aftermarket options for R2 carb. thanks

Chip: Interested in the size of the R2 carb myself. The Avanti Shop Manual lists the size of the R1 AFB as 1 7/16 and the R2 AFB as 1 11/16. This would APPEAR to reflect the diameter of the throttle bores on the primary side. I have an old article from a Hot Rod magazine which lists AFBs with 1 7/16 primaries and 1 11/16 secondaries as 625 cfm and 1 11/16 primaries and 1 11/16 secondaries as 750 cfm. This would seem to be a lot of carb for 289 ci, but that is what the chart says; for what it is worth. Hope this helps. :) I haven't measured my 3507S AFB to see what the bores measure so I am not able to confirm the primary size.

"Auggie"

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, Chip,

The Carter AFB carb is rated at 625 cfm. For lots more info look at the following website: http://patriot.net/~jonroq/rjtechx.html#r3r4 . Then click on "R-Series engines: carb specs and replacements." This page has the most information that I could find for you. This website is really super overall for answering many, many questions!

Good luck and best regards,

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, again, Chip,

I was looking through my old AOAI magazines and came across a very detailed article written by Ernie Rizzolo, a New Jersey member of the AOAI. His article was in Issue # 122, Spring-Summer, 2003, and dealt with the conversion of the Carter AFB R2 carb to an Edelbrock carb. Unfortunately, he did not mention which Edelbrock series carb he used for the conversion. This article may be of some help to you.

Best regards,

Paul