Trunk Lock and rearview mirror

A83

1.  My 83 has an electronic trunk opener but I see no way to open the trunk if this fails .  Is there a way? 

2.  Also my rear view mirror is placed on the windshield in the place normal for most cars.  Is this the original location for the 83 or more down near the dash like early modem Avanti.

Thank you. 

A83

Does your Avanti have the hatch in the rear window package shelf?  If so, you need a flashlight and long, flat blade screwdriver.  Look in the trunk with the light and there should be a hole in the locking mechanism that you insert the screwdriver and turn it...that will unlatch the lock.  If you don't have the hatch...you're pretty much outta luck as far as I know...or if the trunk is full of stuff.  Do like many, if not most Avanti owners do...just let the trunk rest on the body and don't lock it...you avoid the problem altogether.  

Your rear view mirror is fine where it's at.  Studebaker and some earlier Avanti Its had it mounted low but even Studebaker put out a factory letter on how to relocate it higher.

1 hour ago, Gunslinger said:

Do like many, if not most Avanti owners do...just let the trunk rest on the body and don't lock it...you avoid the problem altogether.  

The one issue that may come up( if you leave the trunk unlocked) is that in a serious panic stop (heaven forbid!) the trunk's momentum may "whip' it open, damaging the hinges, fiberglass deck lid, etc...........just a thought:o.......................Ed

I do have the hatch access in the back thank you.  I will experiment with it in case the switch fails.  

Regarding the trunk lid.  I am wondering for those with this problem, if neodymium magnets might help.  I have not looked at the trunk for an appropriate location, but if you install one or two of appropriate strength on the body and a thin piece of metal in the lid, it might hold the trunk down.  These magnets come in various strengths and can be very strong and you must be careful working with them.

I recently had my interior vent covers covered and did not want to put screw holes through the vinyl and wanted them easily removable so I screwed  two magnets on each side - each 1 1/2 inch long by 1/2 inch by 3/8 inches deep.  I then used Gorilla super glue to attach two very thin sheets of metal on the inside part of the vent cover which happened to be overlapped with the vinyl.  The vinyl was glued strongly enough that when the metal was glued to it , it did not separate when pulling the vent from the magnets. 

The vents held in place from the front mounted magnets alone with no need for any additional support on the top bottom or rear.  Plus they come on and off easily.  And they held exactly in place when I test drove it even at 55 mph.  No vibration or rattle.

Regards 

A83