Sparkplug Install!

mfg

I installed a set of sparkplugs in my '83 Avanti 'everyday driver' today.....I install a new set in this car around this time every year.

As most of you Avanti ll owners know, installing plugs in the Chevy engine isn't too hard a job....EXCEPT when you get to cylinders 5 & 7.

The plugs on those two cylinders are difficult to access due to the proximity of the steering gear......So, on cylinder #7,  I changed that plug the usual way, from underneath the car with the wheels cranked to the right and a sparkplug socket with a 'hex' end and an open end wrench. (a pain!)

However, on cylinder #5 I tried something different....with my Avanti jacked up in front, and working over the left front tire, I drilled a 1 1/2" hole in the fiberglass inner skirt with my hole saw.

The hole is lined up directly with #5 plug, and with a long extension & plug socket I could easily remove and re-install #5 plug through that 1 1/2" hole....Really saved some effort today, and in future sparkplug changes!......Ed:D

I used to have a '67 Dodge Charger (the "Flatback") that had a factory access panel there with a rubberized cover you could remove when necessary to change the plugs.  You can use a square of rubber or even a piece of fiberglass to attach there between doing the job.

3 hours ago, Gunslinger said:

I used to have a '67 Dodge Charger (the "Flatback") that had a factory access panel there with a rubberized cover you could remove when necessary to change the plugs.  You can use a square of rubber or even a piece of fiberglass to attach there between doing the job.

What engine did your Charger have?.  I bought a 1966 Charger (same body) new and kept it for nine years and 150K miles.   It had a 361 cid V8 (B-block).  I neither remember an access location nor a problem replacing spark plugs.    

9 hours ago, Gunslinger said:

That's a good thought!.....(to keep out rain or snow splash)...... I can probably come up with a round 1 1/2" rubber or plastic plug.:)

My Charger had a 383 4-barrel/4-speed.  The access panel is easy to miss it as it might well have been covered up with either road slop or undercoating.  Maybe the '66 didn't have it..don't know.

2 hours ago, Gunslinger said:

My Charger had a 383 4-barrel/4-speed.  The access panel is easy to miss it as it might well have been covered up with either road slop or undercoating.  Maybe the '66 didn't have it..don't know.

Your 383 and my 361 were both the same B block.  My 1966 was the first one delivered in this area (the month that they came out)  Perhaps this was a running change, like the many that Avantis had.

Speaking of Mopars, you know which V8 engine I found the very easiest to change spark plugs in?......... It would be the 392CI hemi that was in my uncle's 1958 Imperial LeBaron.

Sure didn't have to be concerned about burning hands on hot exhaust manifolds with that engine:o.....and the spark plugs simply dropped straight in!:D

4 hours ago, Gunslinger said:

You're right about the 361 being a "B" block...I was thinking of the 318 Poly engine.  

A lot of people get confused with these because a 361 is a B block like a 383 and a 360 is an A block like a 318.  I have owned MANY of these, both new and used.  

2 hours ago, differentdrummer said:

I am getting prepared to change #5 spark plug (327) per mfg's hole-drill suggestion and it appears that the steering box (power steering) will be directly in line with the plug. Are my eyes playing tricks on me or am I missing something?

John

YES!.......That modification probably won't work for you since your 'A' series Avanti ll no doubt has the earlier (Studebaker Avanti style) steering box.....a different animal!:(

3 hours ago, differentdrummer said:

Thanks, mfg. Good to know I'm not totally blind or stupid.

Nope!...You're neither....I forgot that the 'hole saw trick' would only apply to the 'B' series Avanti ll's!:o......(Smaller steering box located in a slightly different position)