Engine position

Phil P.

Hi to all. My carburetor bonnet on my R2585 R2 is only 3/16” from touching the hood, yet occasionally the crank pulley contacts the p/s bell crank. I’d like to place a washer on top of the motor mounts to correct this. Could the engine be gently lifted with a softly padded Jack at the front of the pan? If not what would be the proper lifting point? Thanks for your thoughts. 

I'm not sure about the lifting points but somewhere at the front and would look more at an engine crane to lift it.

I would also slot the washers or whatever you use so that the engine only has to lift of the mount enough to slide a washer in place. Do it one side at a time.

pb

3 hours ago, 1963r2 said:

I'm not sure about the lifting points but somewhere at the front and would look more at an engine crane to lift it.

I would also slot the washers or whatever you use so that the engine only has to lift of the mount enough to slide a washer in place. Do it one side at a time.

pb

2 hours ago, studegary said:

To me, it sounds like you need new motor mounts.  Your original ones are probably worn out/sagged from more than a half a Century of use.

Actually, Gary the mounts don’t appear to be original. I fear that new ones will put the carburetor into the hood. 

3 hours ago, Gunslinger said:

You may well have coil springs that have compressed.  That's not an uncommon thing with Avantis.  

What would that would have to do with the engine position (relative to the frame)?:huh:

18 hours ago, Phil P. said:

Hi to all. My carburetor bonnet on my R2585 R2 is only 3/16” from touching the hood, yet occasionally the crank pulley contacts the p/s bell crank. I’d like to place a washer on top of the motor mounts to correct this. Could the engine be gently lifted with a softly padded Jack at the front of the pan? If not what would be the proper lifting point? Thanks for your thoughts. 

Another way to gain clearance between the steering bellcrank and the engine pulley would be to add a flat washer or two between the steering center bearing housing and the frame, in effect lowering the bellcrank 1/8" or so.;)

3 hours ago, mfg said:

What would that would have to do with the engine position (relative to the frame)?:huh:

If the body is sagging from compressed coil springs you will lose clearance between the hood and carb bonnet.  The motor mounts could be compressed as well and cause a double problem.

53 minutes ago, Gunslinger said:

If the body is sagging from compressed coil springs you will lose clearance between the hood and carb bonnet.

Thanks for the reply......I understand what you're saying, however I must disagree!:o.....As long as the radiator support is sound... (since, as you know, the radiator support not only positions the radiator, but also supports the entire front end of the body).....the  clearance between the carburetor bonnet and the hood would in no way be effected by the condition of the front suspension coil springs...

Whether this Avanti has the stiffest new springs available, or totally worn out springs, that's irrelevant to the specific clearance we're focusing on here........Ed :)

You are correct Ed. The main reason the hood moves closer to the engine would be a slight compression over years of the body mounts. I have no apparent rust or other frame issues so I’m going to try mfg’s suggestion and place some hardened washers between the center mount bracket and the crossmember, slightly lowering the bell crank. Thanks to all for the comments, I’ll let you know how it ends up. Phil P.